Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

how to switch distro's?

0 0

well after bashing my head against the wall trying to get get linux on my laptop i just went ahead and installed ubuntu 7.10. which brings me to the problem i really dont like ubuntu. i know its noob friendly but its so lame. i want to dual boot backtrack 2 and XP because its so small and runs fast on my older lappy. my question is, is there a way i can just boot bt2 up and install over the ubuntu install? if so please give directions or a url. thanks for helping.

0 0

…huh? what exactly are you asking?

Banned
0 0

Yes just boot bt2 select the same partitions where ubuntu is,and it will format them and install bt2. Just like that.

0 0

ThorsDecree wrote: …huh? what exactly are you asking? i want to install bt2 in place of ubuntu

BIBER

please go into detail on how i can do this using the bt2 installer not the Konsol

Attack-Vector Perl
0 0

You will see in the list of your active partitions (in the BT2 installer) a few different hard-drive listings, most likely it will be:

/dev/hda1 (formatted in ext3) /dev/hda2 (formatted in ntfs if you have windowsXP already installed) then a swap partition

The partition you will want to remove in the BT2 installer is the one listed with ext3 (a linux file format, other examples are reiserfs and ext2). You can then use that partition for BT2 and when it asks for a swap partition, you can tell it to use the existing one, no need to make any changes to that one.

Then cross your fingers and hope that you don't end up with bootloader problems as I have had every time I've tried removing Ubuntu.

0 0

well i did all this stuff and my boot loaded got missed up. anyway im reinstalling everything. im starting with XP and im going to try again from there. does anyone know of a good tut or some one who will help me get this done? thanks for all the help so guys.

0 0

SG_Cthulhu wrote: well i did all this stuff and my boot loaded got missed up. anyway im reinstalling everything. im starting with XP and im going to try again from there. does anyone know of a good tut or some one who will help me get this done? thanks for all the help so guys.

this helped me with debian: markuphttp://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130715

0 0

ok i reinstalled XP home (its the only boot cd i had of XP) and installed all the updates which took forever. im calling it a night but tomorrow im right back at it again. if anyone has any dual boot XP/bt2 secrets i would love to read them in the morning.:ninja: thanks for the help guys.

0 0

ok i keep thinking about what it is i want to do with my linux setup. i think i really have few questions for everone. what do you do/recommend 1.duel boot xp and backtrack 2? 2. install a distro and customizing it with the security tools i need? if you are in favor of number 2. which distro do you suggest (mandrake, openSuSe, ect…) thanks for helping

...Legend?
0 0

You want to install it over Ubuntu, could you not just format the drive. And insert and install disc ?

Damn that sounds to easy…to good to be true I'm sure.

0 0

i think the main reason is that it has all the tools most people need and its one of the few that has an active status. plus its based on slax which is a leanand and mean OS. oh and its pretty…..:)