Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Compiz-Fusion Gnome FC8 Issue

0 0

I am trying to install Compiz-Fusion (formerly Beryl and Compiz) on Fedora Core 8. I've read some tutorials and have successfully installed all the packages they mentioned:

Tutorial

*  emerald-themes
* compiz-fusion-extras
* emerald
* compiz-fusion
* compiz-manager
* compiz-fusion-extras-gnome
* gnome-compiz-manager
* libcompizconfig
* compiz-fusion-gnome
* ccsm

Everything installed correctly, I have verified that everything is there and OK. However, when I go to System->Preferences->Look and Feel -> Desktop Effects and click "enable desktop effects" the system looks like it's working for a few seconds and then tells me that it was unable to enable desktop effects.

Has anyone else had issues with this? This is a clean install of Fedora Core 8 on x86_x64. My hardware specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon X2 3.0GHz, 2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM, nVidia GeForce 6600LE video, 250GB SATA 7200RPM HDD, ASUS M2A-MVP mobo.

Could there maybe be drivers I need to install for the video card? I think I installed those last night, though it was about 3am and I can't clearly remember exactly what I did… Anyway, any help is appreciated. I'll reinstall those nVidia drivers now, I guess. Happy New Year!

Admin from hell
0 0

Check your Nvidia control panel for manage 3d settings to add the program. That should work.

0 0

OK I just realized that I had NOT installed the nvidia drivers, I just did that and now my dual monitor config works. I'll do what you said, Korg, and get back to you, but I'm going to lunch right now. I'll update asap.

0 0

would that be "Nvidia X Server Settings"?

There's nothing in there about 3d, just my monitor/cpu/gpu instruction set things. I'm still looking around on nvidia's site, but if you can point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks.

0 0

update: 3d games work but desktop effects still won't apply.

Another update: I've got options in system->preferences->look and feel-> compizconfig settings manager for all kinds of things, compiz-fusion is fully installed, gl desktop enabled, nvidia drivers are installed, but desktop effects still won't apply. I have no idea what I'm (not) doing now. Still searching but so far i'm fruitless.