Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

another linux help (again)

0 1

This is getting frustrating. first i have problems with Grub, then xorg.conf

I solved both problems with some help, but this problem is ridiculous.

My problem now is that i'm missing my sources.list file, which makes downloading using apt-get and installing updates impossible.

as if it isn't bad enough, i can't even compile any code using GCC. I tried compiling xmms, John The Ripper and Gkrellm without any success.

so i'm basically stuck in Ubuntu with only basic software.

so should i reinstall Ubuntu or is there a way to fix it?

0 0
  1. Make a new sources file. Bam. There's plenty of examples on the net.
  2. What's wrong with gcc? Any errors?

0 1

if i recall (i have trouble recalling stuff, so please bear a bit)

GCC mentions errors such as missing headers such as stdio.h , iostream.h, etc.

this happens while trying to install John, xmms and Gkrellm.

in fact, i can't even compile any kind of code, even the ones that ran fine prior to my mishap.

the only exception right now is python.

0 0

if you've got apt working again:

markupsudo apt-get install build-essential

people on the ubuntu forums say that works.

0 1

there's another error i forgot to mention earlier:

E: ERROR: could not create configuration directory /root/.synaptic - mkdir (2 No such file or directory)

so can this issue be fixed or should i just reinstall it from scratch?

0 1

thanks

Banned
0 0

If you don't mind me asking, what Ubuntu installation is this? Not that I want to run Ubuntu -ever- but if I know I can warn others for this horrendous install.

I hope you have solved all your problems. Again.

Banned
0 0

I think u can go to Administration > Sources > Server > make it select the best server automaticly. something like that for sources.list

0 0

if you haven't got it up and running i can post my sources.list file here for ya. And also…this is the first time i have heard of any of these kinds of problems, and am myself a pretty happy & skilled ubuntu user, so don't start making these stupid generalizations like "horrendous install" shit.

0 0

Qu4ntum wrote: And also…this is the first time i have heard of any of these kinds of problems, and am myself a pretty happy & skilled ubuntu user, so don't start making these stupid generalizations like "horrendous install" shit.

Go read old ubuntuforums threads, and prepare for problems galore.

Attack-Vector Perl
0 0

If you have not gotten the sources.lst file back yet, pop your ubuntu disk back in and boot it in the live-cd version, you can then manually mount your hard drive and copy the source.lst file onto your harddrive installation.

And the build-essentials is necessary to compile anything from source in ubuntu. In their infinite wisdom, the developers had decided (and still continue) to keep gcc, gdb, and gjc build tools out of the initial installation.

0 1

it's ubuntu 7.04.

apt-get is actually working, i managed to download xmms with no issues.

And the two previous problems i mentioned is my fault as i was just playing around with the settings, so it's my fault.

it's the latest issue that my fault, i just noticed it right after reinstalling Ubuntu.

0 0

uh, i help people out on the ubuntu forums all the time, those problems are nothing because they are all FIXABLE and really rather simple, linux runs more stable than any windows (except MAYBE XP, which is pretty much on-par with linux) and besides, you read some of the posts on the forums? realise none of them flame the others for asking questions? and they let people decide to keep linux or not, and support it either way? that's how a community should be…

0 0

Qu4ntum wrote: uh, i help people out on the ubuntu forums all the time, those problems are nothing because they are all FIXABLE and really rather simple, linux runs more stable than any windows (except MAYBE XP, which is pretty much on-par with linux) and besides, you read some of the posts on the forums? realise none of them flame the others for asking questions? and they let people decide to keep linux or not, and support it either way? that's how a community should be…

what exactly are you insinuating? fuck off back to the ubuntu(LOL) forums if you don't like this forum…you people make me sick. you come here, take take take, and give nothing. and then you complain and whine like a little kid.