Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Linux

0 0

So right now I use Windows XP but I hear people talk about how they prefer linux. Since I don't really know anything about linux, I was wondering: what is linux good for? what are its advantages and disadvantages?

Admin from hell
0 0

Let me tell you something, An OS is only as good as the man behind the keyboard. I use both. I have found that IF you know what your doing xp pro is the way to go. Linux is OK but most people I know use it just to say I use Linux not windows. There are no advantages.

0 0

a lot of people dont know what theyre talking about, they cant do anything at all in linux so they say xp pro is way better because its what theyre used to. dont listen to those people. just try out linux and see for yourself. youve seen windows. now try linux.

Admin from hell
0 0

First off I know my way around linux very well but it's shit learn how to use Xp and you'll be set

0 0

I still run linux ( slax 6.0rc via usb ), and I find it much more responsive than my windows system. Also, linux allows a level of customization that is dificult at best under windows, and in my opinion is designed better overall. Certain nmap options are (to my knowledge) unavailable on windows, due to socket design. Also, many linux distro's come with a crapload of programming tools.

Still, my main box boots to windows. It's the only os I knew for over a decade.

If you're going to try linux, I'd reomend a LiveCD distrobution. It can run from a burned cd instead of your hard drive, though it won't be as fast.

0 0

You will want *nix/BSD if: -You develop code. -You like increased security. -You like having complete control over your OS.

You will want Windows * if: -You play "games". -You want an easier interface. -You don't mind taking extra steps to secure your box.

You will want both if: -You're a reverse engineer. -You audit software. -You tinker with networking.

Banned
0 0

You want windows too if you like to develop code, but if you don't mind downloading the win32 packages and installers.

Aaanyway, just get two computers.

0 0

I'm using an amd64 athlon x2 3.0ghz 2gb ddr2.800 250gb.7200rpmSATA system and can't even get the sata modules installed for ubuntu :p. Windows is definately more productive for me (x64 is pretty stable on my machine, and FASt) but I'd like to get nix installed… either FC8 or XUbu. But, yeah, for now I'm staying with Win, using nix when I need to via a VM. If you're new to Linux, though, try DamnSmallLinux on an older machine, or if you have a faster one maybe Ubuntu. You can emulate your Win progs through wine.

I will likely move to Linux fully in a few years, really, but for now I'll be content with dual-boot: which I had set up correctly before I used SATA.

The biggest difficulty with Linux is getting it set up; I like it because, every time I've run it, it has been extremely stable; I've never crashed a single app. That's something Windows CANNOT say.

Admin from hell
0 0

Windows is a bitch to keep working." due linux's consistency in operation until you fuck with it. Its a very transparent system that allows for lots of choice and customization.

Hmm.. I've had the same copy of my modded Xppro for over 3years never crashed an app, No reinstalls, Aside from a few blue screens from corrupted programs, trouble free. And to add xp is easy to customize, Tweak, And make it do what you want. Not sure what version of windows most of you run, but if you have a factory install (Dell,hp,E-machines) or stripped down xphome (shit) Your missing out. If your running windows 95,98 or ME Just hide don't say anything.

0 0

linux makes computers fun again.

0 0

korg wrote: Hmm.. I've had the same copy of my modded Xppro for over 3years never crashed an app, No reinstalls, Aside from a few blue screens from corrupted programs, trouble free. And to add xp is easy to customize, Tweak, And make it do what you want. Not sure what version of windows most of you run, but if you have a factory install (Dell,hp,E-machines) or stripped down xphome (shit) Your missing out. If your running windows 95,98 or ME Just hide don't say anything.

How did you modify xp? It's must have been a pretty intensive process. Did you write your own, or download mods? I ask because I've never known anyone to get that kind of stability from windows.

0 0

Ok so my next question is what is your favorite distro and why?

0 0

If you're going to do a hard drive install I prefer (K)ubuntu, because there's a huge forum of happy, helpful members. Great package management, which means easy application installs, using Adept (GUI), or apt (command line). Also, it comes with a LiveCD installer.

However, My main linux distro right now is slax 6.0rc7, running entirely in RAM, from a USB stick. Backtrack is also a great CD to have lying around, but I wouldn't install it.

Admin from hell
0 0

@digitalchameleon: Like I posted previously If you have the full version of xppro or home you won't have problems. The biggest stinker I see from working on windows boxes is that factory installed version are stripped down bare bones version of home. Big companies buy the cheapest version they can for mass installs. As far as modding Xppro goes I'm not talking about changing my themes, I'm talking about rewriting windows configuration files and a lot of the system and system 32 files. Lot's of time and a lot of trial and error. I use a practice box and used back-ups and system restore many times till I got it where I'm at now.

0 0

windows is great because it comes with free crapware. my newest computer had 15 (!) applications that could be considered crapware such as napster trial version etc.

favorite distro: Debian

0 0

Ok so my next question is what is your favorite distro and why?

Anything Debian based, because of APT. If you're just starting I would say Ubuntu cause there is alot of flame-free help out there.