Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

MSN registry

0 0

I'm working on a password recovery program in python, but I don't know where in the registry (I assume it's there) MSN stores the password. I've looked, and tried google.

Anybody know?

=> Penguin in black <=
0 0

I am not sure whether this is what you're looking for, but there is a better (unfortunately closed-source) program, which supports the following IM clients:

* MSN Messenger
* Windows Messenger
* Windows Live Messenger
* Yahoo Messenger
* Google Talk
* ICQ Lite 4.x/5.x/2003
* AOL Instant Messenger v4.6 or below, AIM 6.x, and AIM Pro.
* Trillian
* Miranda
* GAIM/Pidgin 

It also supports command line parameters for easy integration in scripts (i.e. the /stext option to quietly export every password in a text file). As far as I know, the last version, 1.16, isn't recognized by AV software, yet.

MessenPass If you are more interested in coding your way to the passwords, getting them from the registry, you may find these links useful:

Technical details MSN Messenger Password Decrypter (Government Security)

I hope it helped you a bit.

0 0

Thanks for the info. The first post was exactly what I was looking for. It actually answered another question I had about the encryption used.

Base64! I couldn't believe that they once used base64 as an 'encryption' (and I use the term lightly) scheme.

Anyway, the program in the second post looks exceptionally usefull, but I'm more interested in making the program myself, nevermind the actual password. Thanks for the links on the crypto though.

Thanks again.