Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

help!! i accidentally ruined xorg

0 1

This happened last night while i tried to increase my laptop's resolution.

Ubuntu 7.04 places it at 1024x768, but Vista places it at 1440x900.

so last night i made a backup of xorg.conf, and then i edited the original xorg.conf file, since the DefaultDepth at the time is 16, so i added 1280x720, 1280x768 and 1440x900.

i restarted X, but the resolution doesn't change.

But then i read at the xorg.conf file that i can also change my screen resolution by sudo dpkg-reconfigue -phigh xserver-xorg

doing that, i chose vesa as my video driver, and set it to 1440x900, but it failed to do so. I tried it a second time with no success.

so i then re-edited xorg.conf, but seeing that the DefaultDepth is now 24, so i then added: 1280x720,1280x768,1280x1024,1400x1050,1440x900.

so i then restarted x, and then it says that x failed to start which leaves me on the command prompt.

So i tried booting into recovery mode, but it ended up leaving me at the command line.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this issue? Maybe ou can also tell me on how to increase my screen resolution. My laptop is a Dell Dimension 640m with an Intel 3945ABG card.

I really need this issue to be resolved asap as I have lots of files such as college assignments and programming code and other types of software I have installed. I haven't made any backups lately. Silly, i know.

Please help.

0 1

will do. I'm in college right now, using a library computer. maybe around three-four- five hours or so as i have some work to do.

What time will it be at australia?

Around here it's around 12.35, so i'll be online around 4 pm i guess.

0 0

HAHAH, all hail richo, our linux god

Ultimate Headshot
0 0

try xconf then try startx?

0 1

i tried the steps mentioned earlier, but i got an error 11.

i tried booting it from a mandriva disc, but it asked me to reconfigure X

the settings are: Intel 945, monitor:1024x768 Hz and resolution: 1024x768 16bpp

no matter how i try, i can't seem to load X.

I was just wondering, if i upgrade ubuntu to the latest version, will it fix the error and will my data still be there?

I'm going to bed now, but i have a hunch that i'll be dreaming about xorg.conf and failed x configs.

so can anyone tell me what to do next?

Banned
0 0

If u cant boot ubuntu u cant upgrade it,download latest ubuntu version and reinstall it,and if your /home folder is on the same partition as filesystem…….boot new ubuntu,copy whole /home folder,or whatever is important in it,and reinstall. Xorg is very sensitive on ubuntu,be careful when editing conf file.

0 1

What i meant by upgrading is booting from a live cd, and upgrade 7.04 to 7.10.

does that mean i have to salvage all my data first?

i probably have around 17 gigs data on my laptop drive now. Looks like i have to transfer them to dvds now.

The xorg.conf file is way too screwed up now. i can't even do anything.

0 1

What i meant by upgrading is booting from a live cd, and upgrade 7.04 to 7.10.

does that mean i have to salvage all my data first?

i probably have around 17 gigs data on my laptop drive now. Looks like i have to transfer them to dvds now.

The xorg.conf file is way too screwed up now. i can't even do anything.

Python Ninja
0 0

BIBER you suck. he can salvage, and upgrade.

fuser hit me up on msn dammit, this is easy.