Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

SATA in Linux (Ubu or Fedora)

0 0

Hi, I just built a new computer, I've moved from IDE to SATA HDDs, but now that I want to install Linux (Fedora Core 8 x64 or Ubuntu x64) I have an issue; Linux LiveCDs won't recognize my SATA drives. ls /dev | grep "sda" lists nothing, and I don't have any /dev/hd* either. Do I need to install drivers while booted in the LiveCD, or special modules, or what?

The drive is a Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 250GB SATA drive

Also, I'm having trouble booting my Fedora Core 8 x64 DVD, it hangs when loading the boot files, i'll run a checksum of it though and then maybe try downloading again if it's bad, or getting a different version.

Thanks for any help! Richo mentioned something about a module, he forgot its name though… but he had to go so I have no idea what he was talking about… Manual install maybe?

Admin from hell
0 0

Did you make sure Your Sata was enabled to native in you bios, Never had this problem before and all I use or single sata's or raid's.

0 0

ThorsDecree wrote: and I don't have any /dev/hd* either. Do I need to install drivers while booted in the LiveCD, or special modules, or what?

i think for SATA its /dev/sd* no? also perhaps your machine is having trouble reading DVD's like mine so try using the ubuntu liveCD which should also load faster than a DVD.

0 0

It reads dvd's fine as in movies, i don't know about booting, but I can't find any FC8 CD's… I find 'CD Images' of about 760MB but <i>that</i> won't fit on a CD. I just talked with richo and he introduced me to modprobe. I'll see if there's a sata module in modprobe -l and if there is I'll install it. I'm pretty sure everything's peachy in my BIOS, I've enabled SATA and everything else my system supports.

I'll reply if I have any trouble after this. One more thing: It should be possible to install an OS from a virtual machine right? Like installing DSL through VMWare? And how would I go about configuring my system to recognize SATA after the install? Anything I install will only be temporary, as I'm booting from CD. So once I install, I won't have SATA support or any way to boot that OS… Argh the confusion… I'm not making any sense.

I'll work on this and post again if I need help, thanks for the suggestions.

0 0

if you manage to install a distro from a virtual machine running in another distro then please, make an article about this or post it here. good luck with that, sounds like a lot of fun

>.<

0 0

I just have to point out how great the OP is. He elaborates on his problem and makes sure to include and specific details necessary to help other people Sticky this one as an example of how to ask questions properly…

:)

0 0

Sweet! hehe now I feel good about myself. Ubuntu virtual machine just finished downloading, I'm going to attempt to install sata modules if it has any, will follow up.

0 0

K I do have sata modules in ubuntu, I'm figuring out how to install them (with dependencies) right now. Thanks for suggestions, if I need anything else, I'm sure Mr. Google will have the answer!

Good night people (or day, whichever the case may be)