Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

linux probs

0 0

ok, i run windows xp pro, but i wanted to install linux. well my boss had a copy of suse 9.2 and lent it to me to install. i installed it all well and good but after going to boot linux, it would just freeze at a black screen. i could move my mouse but nothing worked. xp is still fine though. these are on the same hard drive specs: 2 gb RAM Asus A8V-E SE mobo geforce n6600 vid card amd athalon 64 3800+ x2

PS: before my boss gave it to me, he said he wasn't sure if it'd read my mobo. that possible?

0 0

ok, SuSE is good. you have a 64bit proccessor so did you use the double-sided DVD to install it? i dont know if you get that with 9.3 but i got it with 9.1. One side of the DVD is 32bit and the other is 64. To be honest i'm not sure if it would make a difference because i bet you windows isn't 64bit.

0 0

did you properly configure the bootloader?

sometime if it is not on the MBR, it may cause what you're describing. You may try booting it via a floppy disk….

0 0

well, i built this comp myself and i didn't get a floppy, nor does he or i have a linux flooppy anyways. i used the first disk, and after having problems with it, i went to check for errors. said something about patchs or something and when i tried to DL them, it said failed. could that be it? well, i was thinking about uninstalling then reinstalling. how do i go about uninstalling? thx

EDIT: and about that boot loader, how do i configure that?

0 0

well, to uninstall, you just go to reinstall it (be sure to format the partition where your old install was).

the bootloader should be configurable during the install. maybe you just missed it or something. you might also try doing an advanced install or the like.

sorry i can't give specific advice, i have never used SuSe before. Still though, the install should be too different from the other distros.

BTW, look for soemthing called GRUB during the install. thats the bootloader. you may also see LILO (another bootloader), but thats doubtful as LILO is older and GRUB is becoming standard.

gl

0 0

well, i no longer have the disk…but i was at work today and brought my comp with me for my boss to look at and he said it was that it wasn't recognizing my graphics card. is there a driver or something i could DL to make it compatable?

0 0

yea, i'm sure there is.

just google for "(your graphics card)" +linux +"(your distro)"

should turn up something….