Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

FC drive mount on startup.

0 0

I know how to mount and read my ntfs HD but i want to know what i need to do in order for this to happen everytime i start FC. idk what versions have the "save settings" checkbox when u hit logoff but mine DOES NOT. Thanks in advance -Tonz

0 0

I'm assuming "FC" is either Fedora Core or another Linux… in which case, putting an entry in the /etc/fstab file will mount the volume at startup. Look at the format in the file and you should be able to determine what to do.

0 0

When I had Fedora Core 6 running, this is what I did to automount my drive on startup. Now, I've upgraded systems repeatedly (yes, even with the BETA releases, and the configuration is still intact). It might be tedious for starters, but it's really easy to setup once you abstract details.

So, here's we go. Simply edit my preferences and settings. And the code should work flawlessly.

• My FC7 is (hd1,0)
  • My Win32 (hd0,0)

Install the libraries required for recognizing NTFS partitions

yum install fuse fuse-libs ntfs-3g

Look for the NTFS partition under the devices

/sbin/fdisk -lu /dev/sda | grep ntfs cd /media (or mount)

Prepare the mount folder for Windows

mkdir win32

Mount the partition (my XP was "sda1", found out from above cmd)

mount /dev/sda1 /media/win32 -t ntfs-3g -r -o umask=0222

FYI [The umask specifies the rights for mounting the partition. In the command above we specified it to be "read-only". Look up the "man pages" to see more options to this.]

This is the auto-mount part (what you're after). Now, as King Zephyr said, edit "fstab" using the command line or any other GUI editor:

vi /etc/fstab

update the /dev/sd** line to point to your partition, I did (I don't remember for sure):

/dev/sda1 /media/win32 ntfs-3g rw, defaults, umask=0000 0 0

This'll give you read and write access to windows. In case you ever wanted to edit files from LINUX itself. Which you'd want anyways. You're a hacker.

0 0

mission accomplished thank you netfish I had everything but where and how to edit etc

0 0

netfish wrote: This is the auto-mount part (what you're after). Now, as King Zephyr said, edit "fstab" using the command line or any other GUI editor:

Oh, no, never that… especially not after your kickass explanation. I just gave him the simple answer… you walked him through the whole thing, as only a FC user could do. ;)

Oh, and nice screenies… I think the terminal standalone was the sexiest one of them all. B)

Now for my question, which should keep this thread on-topic: Aren't mounted NTFS drives read-only? Or have newer / different versions of the NTFS drivers overcome that limitation? I always just got in the habit of having a FAT32 part handy…