Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Tool recommendations

0 0

Hi,

I need to monitor traffic between a web server and an application downloaded from a website. Unfortunately the application does not listen on port 80 so the web proxy that I tried (Paros) wasn't picking anything up. (Obviously the application doesn't let me change what port it listens out for)

Can anyone recommend a suitable tool for intercepting the traffic? Anything that also allows modification of the data would be especially helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

0 0

On your computer you can use wireshark.

0 0

im assuming you have windows…. get ethereal. it will allow you to monitor all the packets that go out and come in. i THINK it'll only work with a wired connection, rather than wifi (unless you have a fancy wireless card with monitor mode allowed)

0 0

I thought ethereal was wireshark now.

0 0

hmm… i thought it was the linux version that was wireshark, youre probably right tho

0 0

Ethereal had to change its name to wireshark for legal reasons. They are one and the same.

0 0

>_< righto… thanks

0 0

only_samurai wrote: im assuming you have windows…. get ethereal. it will allow you to monitor all the packets that go out and come in. i THINK it'll only work with a wired connection, rather than wifi (unless you have a fancy wireless card with monitor mode allowed)

Wireshark is Ethereal. :happy:

Not sure, but Wireshark could possibly be used to sniff wireless traffic if you have AirPCap. [edit] Kismet [/edit] and AirPCap is also a possibility.