Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Direct connect, getting IP

0 0

Hey all. I was trying to get an IP adress through aim. Please read on and do not get pissed that im asking a "aim hacking" question lolz. I direct connected to my friend and typed "netstat" in the command pomrpt bringin up all my connections including my friend's and mine. But instead of an IP adress number it gave me something like arvsip…etc with a few numbers but mostly more words. Any suggestions to actually getting the IP adress number? Thankyou for your time

Epic Furion

0 0

i would have to see it but possibly those letters could be the isp and the numbers could be his ip.

0 0

Perhaps only there arents many numbers but theres lots of words ill try to post an example if i can try it again :)

Epic Furion

0 0

AC86860A.ipt.aol.com:2345 theres an example of what it does but lots of times instead of randomletters its all words and a few numbers

0 0

arsvip-m02.blue.aol.com:3190

heres another person i direct connected to and not sure why it doesnt jsut give me his ip instead of this stuff (btw i changed nubmers in both of them justt in case any of you ppl try to hack my friends comps) hehe

Any suggestions would be great thanks

Epic Furion

0 0

People always assume AIM goes from you to the other person. It really doesnt. It goes: you | your ISP | AOL | their isp | them

It would be most logical that it was echoing back your isp address. If you subscribe to AOL then this is true. Maybe also because the address says aol its actually going all the way to aol. Hell, it may be going all the way to their isp for all i know, all we know for sure is that it is not connecting to them. Have him do the same and post the result here, we can do a little expirement and find this shit out. [EDIT]: Some snooping has shown that: oam-m13b.blue.aol.com is the default connection that aim makes when signing on a name. So that would leave me to believe that AIM DC's stop at the aim server. [EDIT2]: To fix your IP getting woes, try netstat -an and look for an established connection, there will be several, you will have to logically assume due to other info it provides.

0 0

ok thanks for the suggestion. Btw when your direct connected you really are connected to the other person? I could be wrong but I'm preety sure the name direct connect gives itself justification? lol But ill give what u said a try hopefully it works out Thanks for your time :)

Epic Furion

0 0

yes i had her type netstat for me while we were directly connected then we tried sending a file to one another. Both times came up with the ………….blue.aol.com instead of each others IPs and I dont have aol i jsut use aim and she uses aol. But ive tried looking at other ppls ips using netstat whilst direct connected who dont have aol and its the same deal. Any suggestions? Thanks

Epic Furion

0 0

That proves my theory. You are never directly connected to them, even when directly connected. I realised something, download GAIM, which is an AIM client for the GNOME desktop linux environment, download a windows build (they do have one), and when you dc it displays the ip address of the person you connect too.

0 0

u keep syaing dc?? is dc jsut netstating to find their IP or what? Cool ill dl it thanks for finding that program its jsut what i wanted :)

Epic Furion

0 0

dc == Direct connect

0 0

k thanks again ;)

0 0

this i agree sees true but i sometimes i've had it where it did shop me there ip the isps the people had were comcast and buckeye or sumthin like that. Oh sumone said that dial up users have dynamic ips and that dsl users have dynamic i happen to disagree with him can anyone shed some light on this?

0 0

try sending large file it should be "dropped"(i dunt know the right word) to a direct connection the use "netstat -n" to get the numericalk host froms I thyink DCC uses ports around 1086 if memory services.

0 0

yeah wolfman, thats what i do. Or i make an IP Logger and send them to it. either way works.

Just use MSN or AIM or anything, transfer a big file, and while it is in progress, run command prompt, and type:

netstat -n

It should give a heap of foreign and local addresses. Look for one on port 1086 i think, and the foreign address is that of the person you are transfering the file with.

Hope i've helped.

0 0

You probably want netstat -a

0 0

cool I DLed GAIM and it works perfectly lol i dont even have to use comman prompt. But ill give netstat -a and -n a try thanks for the help guys.

Epic Furion

0 0

Ya, ive been using gaim for years to get peoples IP address, allthough i do remember a time (before i became addicted to linux) when i used netstat to do it but i dont remember having to use any kind of options with it.

0 0

Hi, TRy using the command

netstat -n or netstat -na

That should display only numbers.

ThomasB)