Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

wireless networks

0 0

driving around today w/ my laptop. keeping an eye on networks that come and go. half are encrypted half are not. Is there any reason my network should be encrypted? it is but i dont know why it should be… also is there any way to bypass an encryption and access the web anyway?

-=[TheOutlaw]=-
20 0

If it's not encrypted people could just use your internet for free, or go to your router's admin panel and change shit!

0 0

agreed. if your wireless network isnt secure it gives anyone who feels the need to mess with you much less of a hastle. and also it gives any one of your neighbors who bought a labtop and is feelin cheap easy, free access to the internet, which evidently slows down your network, as more and more people connect. it sucks up your bandwidth.

– basically to sum things up… just keep it encrypted ;)

0 0

to encrypt ur router, type ipconfig in ur command promt, copy ur default Gateway, then type it in the address bar. that should allow u to config ur router.

0 0

already knew that. my fault i should have been more specific. can people cause damnage through networks? and if so how would they be getting around my encryption?

0 0

tonzofgunz25 wrote: already knew that. my fault i should have been more specific. can people cause damnage through networks? and if so how would they be getting around my encryption?

There are many WEP crackers that can be found on the net. Plus the fact that if you leave your network open they can sniff other connections to retrieve confidential information (i.e. passwords, account numbers, etc.).

0 0

I keep my network unencrypted because I live in a quiet old people neighborhood where like nobody knows what wifi is anyway. I do monitor who is connnected though, I flipped out when my uncle brought his laptop because I didn't know he was here.

0 0

tonzofgunz25 wrote: already knew that. my fault i should have been more specific. can people cause damnage through networks? and if so how would they be getting around my encryption?

yea all they really need to do is use a packet sniffer and listen basically… thye can get a lot of personal data that way

0 0

I just got myself a wireless router, and I keep it encrypted just so no one with malicious thoughts;) can access my network. Even though there isn't that much traffic around my home I like to keep on the safe side. Right now it's even set to only allow my computer. It checks the physical IP. Does anyone know if there's a way to spoof this?