Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Packet Interception

KvK

0 0

X is the Client Y is the Server Z is the Attacker White lines are Data Streams Arrows are Transfer Direction (Made the Diagram Myself);)

Simply put, I want to become Z. I want to be able to intercept traffic from any client to any server, preferably anonymously. And I'm not talking about on a LAN, but I want to be able to intercept any data sent from a specified Ip address remotely without the use of any type of Trojan or Worm. Basically I want to be able to do what Wireshark does, but with any specified external IP address. Yes, I am aware that this is considered to be physically impossible. That is exactly why I would like to attempt it. Despite what you may be currently thinking, this is not a joke. I seriously want to be able to do this and am looking for any pointers on how to achieve such a feat. So please if you have any suggestions, please to post them. Thank You!

☆ Lucifer ☆
3,050 6

Join the UK police force .

0 0

If you are talking about packets over the internet (external to external) then yes this is extremely difficult (im not saying impossible, ive heard lots of things about just this kind of problem, dan kaminsky's DNS cache poisoning, and more recently a bug in the routing protocol (BGP)).

The attack you are describing is called a 'Man in the middle' attack, which tools like wireshark and cain & abel can do on a local network, once it gets to ISP controlled servers its out of your control. Dont you think everyone would be doing this if it were possible….

Ok, so the NSA maybe, but everyone else is pretty screwed.

KvK

0 0

If you are talking about packets over the internet (external to external) then yes this is extremely difficult (im not saying impossible, ive heard lots of things about just this kind of problem, dan kaminsky's DNS cache poisoning, and more recently a bug in the routing protocol (BGP)).

The attack you are describing is called a 'Man in the middle' attack, which tools like wireshark and cain & abel can do on a local network, once it gets to ISP controlled servers its out of your control. Dont you think everyone would be doing this if it were possible….

Ok, so the NSA maybe, but everyone else is pretty screwed.

Thank you very much for this information. I understand this attack and why it would be considered impossible, but if the NSA are able to do it, then there must be someway for me to be able to do it also (without infiltrating their network of course, that's the last place I'd want to try to hack).

0 0

Are you serious? Read my friend, NSA, or you're screwed. I suspect the NSA have everything on lockdown, traffic is known to be monitored, they have access to the infrastructure of the internet, you do not. If you email nominet and ask nicely….

No seriously, no chance. Nice attitude, but… just no.

KvK

0 0

And i had to be the one with a facepalm. Seriously, mate, keep on dreaming.

Thanks! I will.:D

0 0

jjbutler88 wrote: Are you serious? Read my friend, NSA, or you're screwed. I suspect the NSA have everything on lockdown, traffic is known to be monitored, they have access to the infrastructure of the internet, you do not. If you email nominet and ask nicely….

No seriously, no chance. Nice attitude, but… just no.

The government can do it (it's actually the FBI, not NSA) because they've got their own recording devices hooked through all ISPs (at least in the U.S., and that's by law). So, if you have access to all the data traveling through every ISP in a country, you essentially have access to all the data traveling through every computer in the country. I believe other countries have done similar things, but yeah as a regular client and out on the internet, this is pretty much impossible. I don't even really believe DNS poisoning or other exploits could even remotely be considered an exploit as he was speaking of.

KvK

0 0

Whoa! I look back at this post and think, "WTF was I taking." It was pretty stupid. Sorry all for the waste of time. :( I decided to take on a new project. I did however learn quite a lot about the BGP protocol.

Banned
0 0

The easiest solution for this problem would be to hack Y and X, I think.

Retired
10 0

Even if you did achieve what you were asking, wouldn't a dynamic IP screw you over?

0 0

Enough with the spamming man. Lets get our hands dirty. I' am thinkin your gonna need a new type of 'box' for this job. Google blue prints on blackbox's and the such. We're talking hardware this time, not software. If we all put our heads together and figure this out, hell we could have a big ass party-hacker-palooza going on. So quit the bitchin, and start helpin.

Off-topic, I' am high so that might not make sense….