Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

John the ripper + DES

0 0

you can just pont me in the right direction with this -

Ok I have come across JTR john the ripper and have played around with it but it seems to have raised more q's than A's.

I have used google hacks to find what I think are DES hashs to front page

IE = admin:$1$FiUDpAAP$LAj6hRJsrtVoEj1fwNKtx1

Now firstly how do I knw this is DES and not a MP5 - is it because MS FP only uses DES ??

OK now with JTR sometimes I can crack it sometimes I cant - i have over 60mb of word lists argonlist etc and sometimes just cant it. I then let john work on it using single mode but I have left pass's over 40 hrs and still no joy what should be my next attack move ??

once I have the DES - can I log into there email page and have a look around - if so how do I do this ???

any thought on things I should look at next ?? Ive seen Cheese vid tut is there a written copy of this as cant really see it that well ??

I seem to be snowed under a mountain of info and unsure of where to go.

already done quite alot on W3 site just need a gently shove next

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME !!!

0 0

um, well for the part that can be answered, DES looks like x:y always mD5 (which cain is used for) is 5t4654yrty565ytry54….. type format

other than that, i am not sure you should be asking for info related to actual hacking. That is not what this site is intended for, and it does not engage in hacking or provide support to those who come seeking aid to that end.

If you are hackign your own box, that is one thing, but if you are actively hacking someone elses box, that is not condoned by HBH.

0 1

fogismith wrote: I have used google hacks to find what I think are DES hashs to front page

you heard of SKOTY? Perhaps you should read these: http://www.hellboundhackers.org/articles/382-Negative-Sterotypes.-Its-time-for-a-change..html http://www.hellboundhackers.org/articles/417-The-True-Hacker.html

fogismith wrote: IE = admin:$1$FiUDpAAP$LAj6hRJsrtVoEj1fwNKtx1

Now firstly how do I knw this is DES and not a MP5 - is it because MS FP only uses DES ??

Thats not DES. Can't recall off by the heart the name of that encyrption, but DES is alot shorter. encryptions usually have a set amount of charachters. google for DES and compare the hashes so you can see the difference.

MP5 - german sub machine gun MD5 - one way encryption algorithm

i think you meant MD5 ?

Banned
0 0

Maybe it's 256-AES with 2 garbage characters.

/shot in the dark

0 0

As far as I know encryptions starting with "$" some random char and then another "$" are a form of phpass as used within phpbb3 where it is $H$, phpass original is as far as I know $P$, it's just an identifier that varies based on who implements phpass with their own changes to it.

That said I've been wondering if there's any way to get the original hash from the phpbb3 method of encrypting or if there's any online database for it such as passcracking.com and gdataonline.com for md5.

0 0

@lameName- To give a more accurate definition, a MD5 hash consists of 32 hexadecimal characters which means that it will ALWAYS be 32 characters in length and its only characters are: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f.

@OP, there are several common ones that you should acquaint yourself with:

SHA1 MD5 DES BASE-64 ASCII->BINARY BACON CIPHER (It's basically an alphabetic representation of binary) aaaaa->a aaaab->b aaaba->c ROT-13 (Easy to crack using cryptanalysis) ROT-47 also go to caesum.com and read the crypto as there may be some that I have left off..

No problem! I'm glad to help B)

0 0

@pwnzall

ah thanks for the info bout MD5, i wasn't aware that it was limited to hex ( had not noticed) I usually determine by length,

as for the length, i put ….. because i was being lazy and he was obviously not looking at an MD5

good info though pwnzall, thanks