Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Rooting a box

0 0

Ok, Say I wanted to root a box which we will call Rocky. Now Rocky has ftp, http, smtp and pop3 ports open and imap how would i got about accessing this server and gaining root. Lets also say its running a linux server shall we

(This isnt a "tell me how" post its a "Give me a nudge in the right direction" post)

0 0

check out the versions of the serivices, and the version of the OS (in this case it would be the kernal version). i can think of several remote root exploits for those services off the top of my head.

If you're not authorized to do this and don't have local access, try the following nmap syntax:

[root@localhost hacking]# nmap -vvv -sS -sV -O -P0 target-host

that will do OS detection, and a Version scan.

course, using telnet (or netcat) is a better way to grab the banners at times. i'd use nmap and then back up its guesses with telnet or netcat.

BTW, if you're really not authorized to do this, maybe you should get some more expirence before you go and try something like this… no offense…. ;)

0 0

umm everytime i use nmap it disconnects me until i restart…ive heard by many people that it's really good…i had to get a whole buncha different tools and havnt found a portscanner thats all that great yet please help -death11284

0 0

n3w7yp3 wrote: check out the versions of the serivices, and the version of the OS (in this case it would be the kernal version). i can think of several remote root exploits for those services off the top of my head.

If you're not authorized to do this and don't have local access, try the following nmap syntax:

[root@localhost hacking]# nmap -vvv -sS -sV -O -P0 target-host

that will do OS detection, and a Version scan.

course, using telnet (or netcat) is a better way to grab the banners at times. i'd use nmap and then back up its guesses with telnet or netcat.

BTW, if you're really not authorized to do this, maybe you should get some more expirence before you go and try something like this… no offense…. ;)

I did use nmap to get the info and no offense taken by your last comment

0 0

Darth_Pengo: well, then just look up some exploits on securityfocus, or try using the various services to enumerate user accounts. you have a plethora of possibilities open to you :P

0 0

death11284 fucking awesome sig…

Darth pengo, just look up exploits for the services and such.

0 0

Or download the programs (or source if it's open) that are used and try finding your own 0days.