Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

web languages

Perl-6 Wisdom Seeker
0 0

hi all, firstly I'd like to say that I take hacking only as a more interesting way of practicing and applying of knowledge I already know, so I'm not looking for respect of the community what so ever. Anyway here is the question: Right now I'm learning javascript and php, then i would like to start asp and sql, so my first question is are there any other more useful languages? Secondly i was thinking of perl, do you think that knowledge of it will be useful in web environment?

thx

0 0

For web scripting you'd probably want a something similar to the following combination:

PHP / ASP - For Server-side things JavaScript / AJAX - For browser side things HTML / XHTML - For making the layout all round CSS - For styling things

Or something like that, I'm no proffesional.

0 0

you dont need ASP. html = xhtml. css takes a day to learn. yes learn perl. for ajax youll need to understand xml.

Perl-6 Wisdom Seeker
0 0

pls correct me if i am wrong, but is ASP=SSI?

Perl-6 Wisdom Seeker
0 0

wtf this connection is seriously bugging … most of my posts are doubled xD

0 0

dont worry about asp, its vb based I believe, and php/perl combinations are in my opinion far greater suited for web design

0 0

XHTML, HTML, CSS, and Javascript are all client-side languages. The first two are ultimately the same, intended on structuring and laying out a single web page. The third, CSS, is for styling text and turning a web page structure into a visually pleasing layout. The final, Javascript, is both intended for visual actions and data-related actions. With Javascript, you can manipulate data and create hashes client-side, perform AJAX operations, and so on. You can also make silly little animations, handle CSS details, and anything of the sort.

Those are client-side, meaning view/performed within a web browser or similar client.

PHP is a server-side scripting language. Perl is a scripting language for server management, web sites, and generic action scripts alike. Python is the same in usage as Perl. Ruby itself is as well, but Ruby on the Rails platform is primarily intended for web sites. ASP is a Microsoft technology that uses either Javascript or VBScript. ASP 2.0, ASP 3.0, and ASP 3.5 are all .NET technologies that use either Visual Basic or C#. They are also server side. The languages VB and C# are general programming languages. On the ASP.NET platform, however, they are intended for web applications and services.

All of these languages can also be used to create full, compiled applications, as well.