Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Pinging?

0 0

I pinged somebodys IP not knowing what it does. What does it do? Also how can I use it?

0 0

ping is when you send a packets to a computer to see if its online, if you get packets back then there upline.

0 0

Can you use pinging to make a computer crash, or at least slow down (ive heard this somewhere before). I've not really tried pinging, so i would like to know the different uses of it :)

Thanks

• AbSoRb

0 0

no you cant. pinging is just to see if the target is online. And then you can port scan him to see what ports are opened and so on…

0 0

Errr, well in a massive pinging attack maybe, but that was the ping of death and linux got a fix out for that in 3 hours! back in '95 so no not really,

0 0

actually ProjectX ounce again, a simple google search could have saved you from being wrong… again….

@AbSoRb: yes it is possible to slow down / crash a computer using ping.. its called DoS = Denial Of Service.

u ping with high ammounts of packets very fast in a continuos loop causing blockage and possibly crashing of the internet.

0 0

Haykuro wrote: actually ProjectX ounce again, a simple google search could have saved you from being wrong… again….

@AbSoRb: yes it is possible to slow down / crash a computer using ping.. its called DoS = Denial Of Service.

u ping with high ammounts of packets very fast in a continuos loop causing blockage and possibly crashing of the internet.

Haykuro… not ounce, once; Saw it twice so I figured it wasn't a typo;

and also, try to be a bit nicer when responding, no need to make fun of the other users, just add your tidbit and move on… have a good day;

0 0

Deshouleres wrote: [quote]Haykuro wrote: actually ProjectX ounce again, a simple google search could have saved you from being wrong… again….

Haykuro… not ounce, once; Saw it twice so I figured it wasn't a typo;

and also, try to be a bit nicer when responding, no need to make fun of the other users, just add your tidbit and move on… have a good day;[/quote]

heh i try to be as nice as possible, but i talled ProjectX before that he cud have just googled something he was asking, and then he comes over here and does the same thing again and misinforming people asking questions. If he doesn't kno something he shouldnt be posting unless he searches for it and gains some knowledge before hand, thats all im saying.

0 0

Haykuro wrote: heh i try to be as nice as possible, but i talled ProjectX before that he cud have just googled something he was asking, and then he comes over here and does the same thing again and misinforming people asking questions. If he doesn't kno something he shouldnt be posting unless he searches for it and gains some knowledge before hand, thats all im saying.

Urgh, damn quote boxes, can't have more than one X.X;

I realize, I was just saying, in order to keep a more… peaceful state on the site perhaps PM him rather than publicly berating him…? Just a thought;

Eh, whatever though, don't care much either way tell ya the truth;

0 0

lol ok..

0 0

ping is just a little utility to send ICMP ECHO REQUEST (code 8 )packets to a remote host. however, this is uaually blocked by firewalls nowadays.

just because a host doesn't respond to ping does not mean it is dead. consider a situationwhere you're on a LAN and you're pingin IP addresses to see what hosts are alive (lets assume that you used nmap -sP ). now, nmap says a host is down it it gets back a negative reply (eg: ICMP HOST UNREACHABLE or ICMP DETSTINATION NET UNREACHABLE), or when it gets back nothing. however, most LANs will usuallyrespond with ICMP HOST UNREACHABLE when there is no host. so if you get no reply, you can assume that there is a host there, and it has some sort of filtering device in place.

on the topic of ping DoS attacks, there were 3 very popular attacks a while ago, the most primitave was the ICMP flood. thats simply when you send more data than the remote host can take (like from ping -f on a *nix box). the next was the Ping of Death. thats simply where you send the remote host a packet greater than 65336 bytes in size. this has long since been patched. the 3rd attack was when you send an ICMP packet with overloaaping offsets to the remote host. this was known as teardrop. it too has been patched.

ICMP is fun to play with, espically sending nonsense packets (eg: an ICMP ECHO REPLY to a host that didnt send you an ECHO).

0 0

..unless you have a very fast connection or a lot of bots your going to find pinging very inefficient for what your trying to do. If you dont have a very fast connection your best bet to have any fun with pinging is to find a user that is still operating win98 <.