Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Scanning local ip space

0 0

I have been curious lately on how I can go about finding local machines in my area. I have been messing around with Wireshark and AngryIP, but I am not too sure of my results. I understand the results I receive in Wireshark, but my real question is with AngryIP.

How do I know what IP range to use? Where do I start? Any helpful tips on scanning local networks?

10 0

r0b1n135 wrote:

How do I know what IP range to use?

Start with 0.0.0.0/0, you'll be surprised with the results thumbs up

Edited: You have 515 points in HBH and you don't know what IP range to use in your local network? :|

:(
80 120

r0b1n135 wrote: I have been curious lately on how I can go about finding local machines in my area. I have been messing around with Wireshark and AngryIP, but I am not too sure of my results. I understand the results I receive in Wireshark, but my real question is with AngryIP.

How do I know what IP range to use? Where do I start? Any helpful tips on scanning local networks?

It's best not to poke other people's machines until you actually know what you're doing. I would suggest setting up a network of VMs (as small as one or two + your host) and then pointing tools at them to get a feel for how things work.

As for actually conducting a local scan, I would start by enumerating everything in your IP/Subnet range and throwing nmap (or angryIP, I guess) at it. An ARP scan can also quickly enumerate everything that's choosing to show itself on your local subnet.

• futility

0 0

You have 515 points in HBH and you don't know what IP range to use in your local network? :|

Sad I know. I never really know where to begin so I just sort of learn things when they come to me. Web exploitation is the first area I started to learn and it is the only one in which I have made much progress at all.

Thank you both for your help!

10 9

Fuck those goody two shoes man. Install Fing on your mobile and hit the local shopping mall for some good old default password hilarity. thumbs up

0 0

If you really want to learn more about TCP/IP networking I would suggest to have a look on some Cisco CCNA Routing/Switching or Comptia Network+ articles or videos.