Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Creating a more exploitable windows machine.

0 0

Please keep the smart-Alec remarks to a minimum PLEASE!!!!

Alright so if you don't already know there are two hacker training boxes/VM's that are commonly used for Back-Track Linux. Those two are Metasploitable and Damn Vulnerable Linux. These people worked for hours if not days to put these linux machines on the level of insecurity of Windows. (There us the smart ass joke) but I don't see anything for the Windows operating system.  But I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to make Windows Seven or Windows XP vulnerable so I could test out BT5 on it. Mostly ideas for services, programs, modifications (SIMPLE PLEASE :3 or detailed instructions) and or anything else that can be used to make it vulnerable. I really want/need a target to test my abilities on it sure being a script kiddie.:)

0 0

Also I have been to the Metasploit Unleashed - Windows XP guide but yeah. Anyone have anything better/else?

Ninja Extreme
0 0

Smart-ass remarks and harassment aren't something you need to worry about if you've got a decent question and you've done your research. Usually it's only the assholes or half-assed posts that get flamed ;)

Pertaining to your question, Windows stock is relatively easy to break compared to a stock Linux machine. It might help in some situations to:

1. Turn off DEP
  2. Turn off ASLR
  3. Disable UAC
  4. Remove/shutdown any Anti-virus
  5. End any firewalls running
  6. Run old browsers if you are doing browser attacks
  7. The above rule applies to any software you might be attacking

If you are poking around with things like BT, doing those won't make too much of a difference. DEP/ASLR will be very helpful in the case of exploits, though. It will help, but a stock Windows setup isn't that hard to break from the beginning.

0 0

Alright thanks. ;) can I can actually pwn something without someone knocking on my door at O' dark thirty.