Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Is this safe

0 0

Downloading JTR password cracker from this site? http://www.openwall.com/john/ Because i hate having to wipe my drive and re-installing windows all the time. Could some tell me or give me a better site?

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

Pretty sure that's the main site for JTR.

0 0

so it would be safe?

0 0

Yeah, I downloaded JTR from that site too. Nothing wrong with that. However, my virus-scanner said it was a "hacking tool", so I couldn't use it. But if you add an exception to the scanner for the JTR directory, it should work :)

0 0

Blackmercury wrote: Downloading JTR password cracker from this site? http://www.openwall.com/john/ Because i hate having to wipe my drive and re-installing windows all the time. Could some tell me or give me a better site?

Google "virtual machine"

And as long as the files you need to use are safe and you can use your computer, it probably doesn't matter if there's some malware that will be there until the next time the virus scanner is updated. No need to format that often.

0 0

Blackmercury wrote:

Because i hate having to wipe my drive and re-installing windows all the time. Could some tell me or give me a better site?

Just curious but I'm wondering what people do to necessitate reformatting Windows. I hear that a lot, maybe I'm lucky, but in the 10 odd years I've used computers I haven't had that much of a problem, malware wise.

Last time I dealt with something that might have required that was with 'XP antivirus 2009,' this nice old lady came into where I was working at the time and wanted me to help her. God, that was an awful mess, but even then I managed to get it back in working order without a reformat.

You seem to be cognizant of fake sites offering legitimate programs, so that's out for an avenue for getting malware. Do you download a lot of stuff via P2P without checking the sources? That's the only thing that I could think of that you might do and I don't. Otherwise, we'd probably be pretty similar in terms of how we use computers, yet I've never had much of a problem with it. Why? Might anyone be able to shed any light on this?

I guess I'm pretty good on patching Windows when I use it too, maybe that's a difference. Just boggles my mind how seemingly similar people have different experiences involving malware.

0 0

ynori7 wrote: Pretty sure that's the main site for JTR.

I agree. It's still possible to download malware from reputable sites that have been compromised, but this is fairly unlikely.

And I definitely don't think that there's any place more reputable than the official source that you can download from ;)

Banned
0 0

Learn about checksums,

0 0

john the ripper is command line you sure its infected?

0 0

p4n1x wrote: john the ripper is command line you sure its infected?

mosh just wants attention. its usually best to ignore him

0 0

p4n1x wrote: john the ripper is command line you sure its infected? Can't imagine why you even asked that question. Not the right thought process there.

Downloading JTR from the official site is fine. As it says on the download page (and as was suggested), you should verify the checksum when downloading from mirrors.

Back to the OP worrying about reinstalling Windows:

1. Make an image of Windows after you get a fresh and upgraded install.
  2. Keep your files and such on a different partition than your Windows install.

Or, if you want to go one better, get VMWare and use that Windows image to start a virtual machine. You can start the VM from a snapshot each time so, if you start with the initial image snapshot each time, you've got little to worry about.

Admin from hell
0 0

If you ever have a program your leery about, You can run them in sandboxie first to verify It's fine. I use it all the time.

0 0

Pretty sure this guy is a troll.

Otherwise he needs to stop hiding his perphenazine under his tongue and actually swallow.

0 0

korg wrote: If you ever have a program your leery about, You can run them in sandboxie first to verify It's fine. I use it all the time. Thanks