Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Server operating systems

0 0

I am looking to start my own server, just to mess about on, and I am looking for Operating Systems to run, now before you say *nix, can you actually say which one and what makes it better?

I am after something that is fairly easy to use. Its not going to go online or anything

0 0

and that gives me information about the operating systems how?

its all about paying a company to run one for you, not what to use on your own

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

Then you aren't reading very thoroughly. The first hit is a goldmine of information.

0 0

Google.. a man's best friend.

0 1

sigh. Even Windows XP is adequate enough for this task. what exactly do you want to use the server for, anyway?

0 0

I would say Linux or some other open-source *nix OS. Why? Free

Open source, if you wan't to know how something works, then just check the source (that is, if you know the programming language it's written in).

Most servers run *nix

Banned
0 0

Something unixy, BSD would probably be the best choice if you have a clue about what you are doing.

0 0

this is probebly a very stuppid question, but how do you see the source in linux? asking because i am going to work with it a little this year and might be very good to know.:D

0 0

I agree with spyware, BSD is a good choice. If you don't know what you're doing, go with something like Ubuntu Server or even Windows XP.

0 0

Shazrah wrote: this is probebly a very stuppid question, but how do you see the source in linux? asking because i am going to work with it a little this year and might be very good to know.:D

Google, my friend… "Linux source code download"

It's hella lot of code though…

0 0

I agree sounds like even XP or some shizz with Apache etc if your going for web server. (google WAMP server). If you don't wanna go for that go for something like Ubuntu/Debian or Fedora, both easy to use and learn. Also be a lil more descriptive in your posts next time, server can mean anything.

Banned
0 0

MoshBat wrote: Red-hat based things usually work quite well as servers.

Not sure why you bolded Debian there, that isn't Red Hat-based.