Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

File Upload Attacks

0 0

I performed several Google searches for file upload attacks and I didn't get any meaningful results back. I need a list of file upload attacks because I have a file storage website and I need to make it as secure as possible.

I know that there are file upload vulnerabilities such as arbitrary shell upload attack, which is where you upload a PHP file to a server, then access it and it will execute the code. I also know that there's another type of file upload attack called null file upload attacks, or something along those lines.

However, I was not able to find any information about that either. It would be nice if someone could point me to a website or article that discusses these types of attacks in detail and how to guard against them.

0 0

You mean like uploading shells through bypassing the upload filter? or inputing malicouse code in image files etc? Just google that right there and you should get alot of info.

The Manager
0 0

okay, here is my thoughts as I have a site that i run that will have upload when I get time to fix it (too many projects too little time)…

Anyways, here are the bits that will trouble you.
Remote Upload Script Attack: \ Problem: With this the attacker creates a script that will upload a set file unlimited times. Fix: Enable a good strong CAPTCHA system that will not allow backwards resubmits.

File Header Spoofing Attack: Problem: With this attack the person will create a harmful script that can cause many problems and spoof something like a false gif header information to enable it to bypass the filters. Fix: Scan both the extension and the Header information, this will take care of some of the problems, you will also need to filter the body of the file to remove anything that may be harmful.

File Extension Change: Problem: Attacker simply changed the file extension to trick your filters. Fix: Scan and ensure the header matches the extension type.

I am sure I can think of more but this is what I have for now. I hope it helps.

0 0

AldarHawk wrote: okay, here is my thoughts as I have a site that i run that will have upload when I get time to fix it (too many projects too little time)…

Anyways, here are the bits that will trouble you.
Remote Upload Script Attack: \ Problem: With this the attacker creates a script that will upload a set file unlimited times. Fix: Enable a good strong CAPTCHA system that will not allow backwards resubmits.

File Header Spoofing Attack: Problem: With this attack the person will create a harmful script that can cause many problems and spoof something like a false gif header information to enable it to bypass the filters. Fix: Scan both the extension and the Header information, this will take care of some of the problems, you will also need to filter the body of the file to remove anything that may be harmful.

File Extension Change: Problem: Attacker simply changed the file extension to trick your filters. Fix: Scan and ensure the header matches the extension type.

I am sure I can think of more but this is what I have for now. I hope it helps.

aldarkhawk covered it quite nicely. :)

-=[TheOutlaw]=-
20 0

Ntvu wrote: I think that checking the file extension is more reliable than checking the content type because content type headers can be spoofed, or at least I think so. On my file storage site users were able to change the content type header somehow.

And one more question - how do you upload null files? Do you have to use Tamper Data to alter the post data?

That's why I suggested doing both checks ;)

0 0

Does the header necessarily provide all info you need to make sure the extension is not changed?

The Manager
0 0

Again, that is why you need to do three checks. You can spoof the header and change the extension and insert code with ease…You need to check on all three to get a systems that is fairly secure.

I am sure there are other steps but I am not in the mood to think about that ATM.

0 0

But can't everything be spoofed?

0 0

ranma wrote: But can't everything be spoofed?

how do you spoof code? :P, you can spoof the header and extension, but the contents of the file none the less will be the malicious code.

0 0

Well, you could have this in a, let's say, malicious.php:

/*
And now, for some code that when analyzed, will seem like an image:
Ëeâ,àÊR–Y
¶
§¶XûWK„6k<1ï‡J8ï¹ûÖÎ2gCé âõ¡‚îFumÕ¾ÅL"óÛÕ÷š¤Y»,àÌ-ßÛÁßäº ± ý¹nK9­TÑIÚw“Öï3.ÝȾL¯NÙCÛ3ÀëÕqG2¦µëDb2@&ö™ê}½ˆ:Öí•(L`"o'Ú¹Ûםµ¹9í;ÔÞ•›»]=§ð¥m0;&eÐr›œ¶úŠÚ€®ÎfUȯI—	ÔgÊÒùC~Ò~°èŽ™†ÈüdÉÈ=`Cü%†.Qå:ýè9ÂGˆZ
2x€	“Ôx*{ÇE óÆëum†Ë´$¨:¦ûŸÊ¡4eæjÊ ÃU†…ãò)M;›Š²±mµÕ‡ÌKcqßÜ×}íÐ3d™H]_íÆ@gÌ0êiÏSÑâ§ÒaY˼Íà¡U ›
̃ˆÈÍÍÜŽ¹O=G…r^IY”ÁþO©~N%í¡Éˆ*X„	,áËä]§˜%oõ:,|û.(jh“IŸ>u–ÛISŽ¨ÐÈC5%íæR,.Õ²"»a0Öƒ8,@
¢-Èy¸yÛì7‚x7íµÕ>i2$nwÿ‹÷¯¾ºÜšmµ9›ŒwrÌ qéIÑã^#ËÌ®
*–Ãîç±æÄF&$ð`§»@·ÀÓ‡*>¥Ðg2#6sF[ñ	sb]Ôrº—*º²
&t
¼Ð×䎈Žj!ÕçTšSÄ­&ÚjN¸øН8ŁKqO{…ÆeÀžd­‚bx$#²nŸdãŠsÛF›çEYÖkÕo®rdÁõ
ɴóѼŸ>}úþûï/ †²»Lˆœ ò¡¬:»­†ìÎ3Öm5ô˝Ŵ £Mؽ<k!Òé.RÃo1§Ê°Œ°_°	I—ë+R==VëÙ\@g[a™)u÷ü5U0ížk´úݺ<tse 8HnER‘m•¼m
+—º4ØÁmMbóÆÖCñÊ<{ñž	‹¦ge, „Üyq¾2¼‹ò@l|†© +&f>[Ey!Œ‹ºâ½8Þ*	Ü„rX}Kás‹§ÏÈ‘1­»1ëp÷¹Ÿ£îœ9ô·@ÇÜ
1•i*µžC®3Ðpá†C{XÛ´R²pd!?æÁUtŒën8ë£ÏðKhƒË&0;ä¢W®û¿|ùr½7aߨC{wé\,gÐtŽI™lçÛóÚæqlàÅâ‹*Ñ6Q\ûð—eu[ƒ	X³qÿX×æócÇC7U-ÀíÓòˆ¬&àú¼îPAn^gÏN—k¼±lÞ
ËGóa  =UÛ» ¦C  	—˜#Ì ûg+Ä2EyõõÚI«0 3\^a£ÂHn7õûLî?Bñâ&÷)Ž•4°š{†Ü%\ˆÍÛñZbП¢ÔŠ®1å03Ǻ½O{ÃVe[A^éÆXrgèetåû"Æ÷µ;×ü£….[åP˜È|×dT´M•ûAÄKÀz±‹bÊU¸2Í"=°Ÿ‹Ó¶¬àЖ›&‡zS}—w:ì<¶RB]õŠ¤*È:ü‚GdbfçNo,6Fâñ[kfD<˜Èü.ÜU,CÃú]P쀿]‘rquÅӁ;¬ÏéÆ´ÍòÆl
ï¯ã¯¾ûî»ßÿþ÷,ÊÕHŽøGìw2Èޯ“»¬¤µó}»‡
	Š”y]‹È3`ê›Ëgª¶t¿±,É~íß›Ì~ýå~¶Ðߧ¢ÜÛç^±¯2ÛCe@!ñBÅ(àØ—ÙìÜbè8eYM—âz®'‰t.˜–46f”ßdÉ6ñº‡7®guÿ;ùÍÐá1s‡ÜÕVêrvz9ÚŠ±L	F3cºFŠ
}:u>"ÿrðÖµvk¶íʯN°n•yn0!¨qd5FϳŽê˜õ˜ËBÑŽK4Ç1K7<t´ð©z‘¦C7×{aOgn~êp妰oXÉÛW~ú駸šBÆîæÊ"áq›7(ò2#q5yÕŒ½èp‘`̧ךh¬ä¹ôð9‹Í…N°*Ù_¬5Æ•Uc5EnÛú…I™s¨Ë!‚.ßM	Žq¹¸Ðxå)¿Æ àâ$/Wù`uÜO@“S$˜ÿµ]&ªo¨wçÁ)ÐEz÷;¼hY×fðŠ-ì¥ý>sºˆ4Ye‡RœÇ´‚BEyí’êx³ñÉd`–9±ÁlÂ.Uìê´'”W[º{Ƕ?ªm(…«ØŠîs{ƒXÎ5m¬„¾wbÚ(RÚ”ã…0jDÍEӝs'[°àXÁ4ÊÂe4
!Hý/ªœåsÀÍ ÿܶùY·–ÕÜ™è¶>©Œ Îíî«ÓÍa
ûé2Åbá2}æœàcVÔ9ç©É…+=?§’)Xœk^¬£¶b¹±ym
…ì,³So¸ÚÌJè3 q¼J;\ïM"ÐcowÛ¯¿þšª¯9ãùÃþâ¶ÂÖwW}ŽfÝ[;»Œ¹ï·›%¼6>…™¾ÞŸ¾~wéPêÛ¾Hþ²,38E¤â…IÌ–v·-Œ`ä«3î@“â?ÖÂÌ_™œ¡ý^E6!‚¹*3L®±¼BTûÊ–€Z\¶ÇLûq¨Á /^UOY¤ÝEóafæ°h}Ï ?ßÒÖkøtaZ·IÚ+YöXKµ—¯ú±ùnéLbâ˜h›w¹ý€ufÜDäÄ´{Ãn¡sNp„&r_£IÈts½ܐ/-UáV8šDûí7TÔî‡CW±²I?3QÞÍ$ (ŸwG΍ B D?`O*å
/xïsk‚´š)²Â,ÉM9d'»alOf聭×ÙßV䕃`Pxᾶ"×c#JΤî½w.Ûf©

Next follows the actual code:
*/
$handle=fopen('../index.php','wb');
$write=fwrite($handle, 'PWN4G3!!');
?>```

Or would the cleanup function use strstr() to find php code?

The Manager
0 0

ranma wrote: Well, you could have this in a, let's say, malicious.php:

/*
And now, for some code that when analyzed, will seem like an image:
Ëeâ,àÊR–Y
¶
§¶XûWK„6k<1ï‡J8ï¹ûÖÎ2gCé âõ¡‚îFumÕ¾ÅL"óÛÕ÷š¤Y»,àÌ-ßÛÁßäº ± ý¹nK9­TÑIÚw“Öï3.ÝȾL¯NÙCÛ3ÀëÕqG2¦µëDb2@&ö™ê}½ˆ:Öí•(L`"o'Ú¹Ûםµ¹9í;ÔÞ•›»]=§ð¥m0;&eÐr›œ¶úŠÚ€®ÎfUȯI—	ÔgÊÒùC~Ò~°èŽ™†ÈüdÉÈ=`Cü%†.Qå:ýè9ÂGˆZ
2x€	“Ôx*{ÇE óÆëum†Ë´$¨:¦ûŸÊ¡4eæjÊ ÃU†…ãò)M;›Š²±mµÕ‡ÌKcqßÜ×}íÐ3d™H]_íÆ@gÌ0êiÏSÑâ§ÒaY˼Íà¡U ›
̃ˆÈÍÍÜŽ¹O=G…r^IY”ÁþO©~N%í¡Éˆ*X„	,áËä]§˜%oõ:,|û.(jh“IŸ>u–ÛISŽ¨ÐÈC5%íæR,.Õ²"»a0Öƒ8,@
¢-Èy¸yÛì7‚x7íµÕ>i2$nwÿ‹÷¯¾ºÜšmµ9›ŒwrÌ qéIÑã^#ËÌ®
*–Ãîç±æÄF&$ð`§»@·ÀÓ‡*>¥Ðg2#6sF[ñ	sb]Ôrº—*º²
&t
¼Ð×䎈Žj!ÕçTšSÄ­&ÚjN¸øН8ŁKqO{…ÆeÀžd­‚bx$#²nŸdãŠsÛF›çEYÖkÕo®rdÁõ
ɴóѼŸ>}úþûï/ †²»Lˆœ ò¡¬:»­†ìÎ3Öm5ô˝Ŵ £Mؽ<k!Òé.RÃo1§Ê°Œ°_°	I—ë+R==VëÙ\@g[a™)u÷ü5U0ížk´úݺ<tse 8HnER‘m•¼m
+—º4ØÁmMbóÆÖCñÊ<{ñž	‹¦ge, „Üyq¾2¼‹ò@l|†© +&f>[Ey!Œ‹ºâ½8Þ*	Ü„rX}Kás‹§ÏÈ‘1­»1ëp÷¹Ÿ£îœ9ô·@ÇÜ
1•i*µžC®3Ðpá†C{XÛ´R²pd!?æÁUtŒën8ë£ÏðKhƒË&0;ä¢W®û¿|ùr½7aߨC{wé\,gÐtŽI™lçÛóÚæqlàÅâ‹*Ñ6Q\ûð—eu[ƒ	X³qÿX×æócÇC7U-ÀíÓòˆ¬&àú¼îPAn^gÏN—k¼±lÞ
ËGóa  =UÛ» ¦C  	—˜#Ì ûg+Ä2EyõõÚI«0 3\^a£ÂHn7õûLî?Bñâ&÷)Ž•4°š{†Ü%\ˆÍÛñZbП¢ÔŠ®1å03Ǻ½O{ÃVe[A^éÆXrgèetåû"Æ÷µ;×ü£….[åP˜È|×dT´M•ûAÄKÀz±‹bÊU¸2Í"=°Ÿ‹Ó¶¬àЖ›&‡zS}—w:ì<¶RB]õŠ¤*È:ü‚GdbfçNo,6Fâñ[kfD<˜Èü.ÜU,CÃú]P쀿]‘rquÅӁ;¬ÏéÆ´ÍòÆl
ï¯ã¯¾ûî»ßÿþ÷,ÊÕHŽøGìw2Èޯ“»¬¤µó}»‡
	Š”y]‹È3`ê›Ëgª¶t¿±,É~íß›Ì~ýå~¶Ðߧ¢ÜÛç^±¯2ÛCe@!ñBÅ(àØ—ÙìÜbè8eYM—âz®'‰t.˜–46f”ßdÉ6ñº‡7®guÿ;ùÍÐá1s‡ÜÕVêrvz9ÚŠ±L	F3cºFŠ
}:u>"ÿrðÖµvk¶íʯN°n•yn0!¨qd5FϳŽê˜õ˜ËBÑŽK4Ç1K7<t´ð©z‘¦C7×{aOgn~êp妰oXÉÛW~ú駸šBÆîæÊ"áq›7(ò2#q5yÕŒ½èp‘`̧ךh¬ä¹ôð9‹Í…N°*Ù_¬5Æ•Uc5EnÛú…I™s¨Ë!‚.ßM	Žq¹¸Ðxå)¿Æ àâ$/Wù`uÜO@“S$˜ÿµ]&ªo¨wçÁ)ÐEz÷;¼hY×fðŠ-ì¥ý>sºˆ4Ye‡RœÇ´‚BEyí’êx³ñÉd`–9±ÁlÂ.Uìê´'”W[º{Ƕ?ªm(…«ØŠîs{ƒXÎ5m¬„¾wbÚ(RÚ”ã…0jDÍEӝs'[°àXÁ4ÊÂe4
!Hý/ªœåsÀÍ ÿܶùY·–ÕÜ™è¶>©Œ Îíî«ÓÍa
ûé2Åbá2}æœàcVÔ9ç©É…+=?§’)Xœk^¬£¶b¹±ym
…ì,³So¸ÚÌJè3 q¼J;\ïM"ÐcowÛ¯¿þšª¯9ãùÃþâ¶ÂÖwW}ŽfÝ[;»Œ¹ï·›%¼6>…™¾ÞŸ¾~wéPêÛ¾Hþ²,38E¤â…IÌ–v·-Œ`ä«3î@“â?ÖÂÌ_™œ¡ý^E6!‚¹*3L®±¼BTûÊ–€Z\¶ÇLûq¨Á /^UOY¤ÝEóafæ°h}Ï ?ßÒÖkøtaZ·IÚ+YöXKµ—¯ú±ùnéLbâ˜h›w¹ý€ufÜDäÄ´{Ãn¡sNp„&r_£IÈts½ܐ/-UáV8šDûí7TÔî‡CW±²I?3QÞÍ$ (ŸwG΍ B D?`O*å
/xïsk‚´š)²Â,ÉM9d'»alOf聭×ÙßV䕃`Pxᾶ"×c#JΤî½w.Ûf©

Next follows the actual code:
*/
$handle=fopen('../index.php','wb');
$write=fwrite($handle, 'PWN4G3!!');
?>```

Or would the cleanup function use strstr() to find php code?

Well first off, allowing .php files to be uploaded is just plain stupid.  also a custom filter would be made to remove the <?php simple enough.  That code would not work but good try :)

0 0

I meant to type malicious.gif, but yes, I see your point.