Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Questions about Linux Distros

0 0

Salutations everyone at HBH, I'll cut right to the chase(some what) I'm getting a new computer in the next week or two, and I am planning on installing a Linux Distro, and I want your opinions on my question. The question is, in general what would be the best all around distro for IT Security, based on your opinions and experiences? I've done research on them, and they all seem useful, however I already run Gentoo on one of my laptops, and I've used Ubuntu, and BackTrack3. I think/feel that it would be pointless to install Slackware since I already have Gentoo, and they seem so similar. I know all of you are going to want to know what type of hacking I am looking to do, and like I stated earlier I want something all around, not specific, anything that would help me learn in every single aspect of Security. And it would be a bonus if it is well accepted among programmers, since that is what most of my computer usage consists of. So please take the time to respond to my message, and thank you for already taking the time to read this. I wish all of you a good night or day.

-ION

Python Ninja
0 0

Debian, if you want things to work.

0 0

Debian or Fedora would be my choices. Both are stable and can be geared to what ever you want to do.

The Manager
0 0

My Brain HURTS…WHY IS THIS IN HACKING IN GENERAL!?!?!?!?!?!

0 0

Whatever linux distro you are comfortable with will be the distro you can be most productive with… but why not try Debian? I've found that working with different distros teaches me a little something new every time. I am of the opinion that knowing how to tinker with different flavors of linux comfortably is important. As far as security and programing application goes, there is nothing wrong with ubuntu at the stage that you're at. Many security professionals use ubuntu long after their novice programming days. Don't underestimate it. However, there is much to be said for becoming familiar with another distro. Some day you will want to compile your own, and knowing what you liked from the distros you've used in the past will help you to shape your kernel.