Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Risks in port scanning

0 0

If I am scanning an IP address of a server for open ports, I know I will be tracked. But I want to know how can I avoid that? And what are the precautions that I should take?

Banned
0 0

Scan using a remote host that can/may be compromised.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

harry_potter28 wrote: If I am scanning an IP address of a server for open ports, I know I will be tracked. But I want to know how can I avoid that? And what are the precautions that I should take?

When you say that you know you'll be tracked, do really know that or are you assuming? I ask because if you know for a fact, that implies that you know how you'll be tracked. That's important information for avoidance.

But besides all of that, abstinence is the best way to avoid getting caught.

0 0

ynori7 wrote: [quote]harry_potter28 wrote: If I am scanning an IP address of a server for open ports, I know I will be tracked. But I want to know how can I avoid that? And what are the precautions that I should take?

When you say that you know you'll be tracked, do really know that or are you assuming? I ask because if you know for a fact, that implies that you know how you'll be tracked. That's important information for avoidance.

But besides all of that, abstinence is the best way to avoid getting caught.[/quote]

I m assuming that i will be caught. Actually is there any proxy settings through which I can change my ip while scanning.

Banned
0 0

harry_potter28 wrote:

I m assuming that i will be caught. Actually is there any proxy settings through which I can change my ip while scanning.

Don't use a proxy you don't have root access to, you can't delete the logs and such.

Get a remote box. Connect to it (securely) and scan from there. You can chain a few remote boxen for the maximum effect.

0 0

So I should get a remote box and connect to it, then I guess the IP address of the box will be logged. Right? Correct me if I am wrong?

Banned
0 0

harry_potter28 wrote: So I should get a remote box and connect to it, then I guess the IP address of the box will be logged. Right? Correct me if I am wrong?

Not sure why you need to perform portscans when you don't even understand the basics of tcp/ip and computer networks.

gtfo.

0 0

Nice picture. :D

If you have a proxy that you run it through, of course the proxy's IP will be logged.

0 0

Actually I am learning and I want to be safe. So what if my posts sounds noobish but the important thing is I want to learn.

0 0

If you want to be safe, try it on a computer where you have permission to scan it.

0 0

spyware wrote: Scan using a remote host that can/may be compromised.

My thoughts exactly upon entering this thread. This post gets a thumbs up.

0 0

Now if suppose I am using a remote host to scan a network and then the IP address of that remote host will go to the server but then also the remote host belongs to me so whats the difference in using a remote host and my main box.

Banned
0 0

harry_potter28 wrote: Now if suppose I am using a remote host to scan a network and then the IP address of that remote host will go to the server but then also the remote host belongs to me so whats the difference in using a remote host and my main box.

Depends on what encryption you use, and how well you can obscure -and- secure your packets.

0 0

I think he's asking what the difference is in using his computer vs using one of his other computers as a remote host. There is no difference. What you need is another computer that's prefferably not yours. Get it?

0 0

harry_potter28 wrote: Now if suppose I am using a remote host to scan a network and then the IP address of that remote host will go to the server but then also the remote host belongs to me so whats the difference in using a remote host and my main box.

Did you really just say that? This is a hacking forum, and you can't put two and two together? We're not here to hold your hand and spell everything out for you, we're here to point each other in the right direction, but the actual THINKING and LEARNING you have to do on your own.

0 0

Sabrewulf wrote: [quote]harry_potter28 wrote: Now if suppose I am using a remote host to scan a network and then the IP address of that remote host will go to the server but then also the remote host belongs to me so whats the difference in using a remote host and my main box.

Did you really just say that? This is a hacking forum, and you can't put two and two together? We're not here to hold your hand and spell everything out for you, we're here to point each other in the right direction, but the actual THINKING and LEARNING you have to do on your own.[/quote]

NO I don't want you to held my hand and cross me the road, not from anyone here I want it. I want to do it on my own, but I just want to take precautions because I don't want to be get caught. So I was just asking for some tips before going for the real action.

0 0

harry_potter28 wrote: So I was just asking for some tips before going for the real action.

You did the right thing, don't worry about what others people say, the important thing is to learn.

0 0

Isn't there an possibility that you can fake your own mac / ip address so you can't be traced?

Like faking your mac / ip with an existed mac / ip address in the network.

0 0

Just use stealth scanning, chances are they won't care / won't notice you if you use stealth scan… If you compromise the server, you can always just overwrite the logs with pseudo-data anyway.