Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Do you really need to know programming to hack

The Krazy Bastard
0 0

Hi, i've benn lokking into hacking and programming for years now and it has occured to me that you dont really need programming to hack, what do you think?

Banned
0 0

You need to know how to program. Otherwise you are just copy and pasting SQL injections or XSS injections, or if you are exploiting a buffer overflow with a system call, you need to program something to force it to call that syscall.

In short, you dont know ANY programming, whether it be web or program, you are just downloading exploits, aka script kiddie.

Just my opinion

0 0

god damn sig stealer =p

anyways

i have only just learned starting learning programming properly and i can say it helps a ton.

Personally i think a sound knowledge of HTML, PHP and/or Perl and SQL has helped me develop my computer skills 10 fold. Still working on them but the ball is rolling.

if you dont want to be labled as a 'script kiddie' then learn scripting languages. otherwise you will just be using other peoples scripts without knowing what the hell they do. point in that?

The Krazy Bastard
0 0

I have quite a good knowledge of HTML, and i've tried programming, which i found harder, I tried C++, which to be honest i found extremely hard what is a good language to start with, and another thing what is the difference between programming Language and srcipt??? Thanks

Satan > God
0 0

TROY wrote: I have quite a good knowledge of HTML, and i've tried programming, which i found harder, I tried C++, which to be honest i found extremely hard what is a good language to start with, and another thing what is the difference between programming Language and srcipt??? Thanks

Only skiddies can 'hack' without any programming knowhow. And skiddies deserve death!

A programming language is just that, a language to program in. A script is a page of code to run. Simple enough, no? Try javascript or PHP as your next step… And please oh please, don't turn out a skiddie… I will shoot you.

0 0

TROY wrote: I have quite a good knowledge of HTML, and i've tried programming, which i found harder, I tried C++, which to be honest i found extremely hard what is a good language to start with, and another thing what is the difference between programming Language and srcipt??? Thanks If you liked the layout of a C++ program, learn Perl. If you didn't, learn Python.

A programming language is a compiled language, while a scripting language is an interpreted one. A compiled language can make programs that are executable on their own; an interpreted language needs the interpreter installed on the machine. Notable exceptions to this are cases where a program has been created to compile scripting languages; I know there is one for Perl, but that's all I know off-hand. Another key difference is that scripting languages can be fed commands directly through the interpreter in a one-by-one fashion, instead of having to compile a program to run commands.

The Krazy Bastard
0 0

K3174N 420 wrote: [quote]TROY wrote: I have quite a good knowledge of HTML, and i've tried programming, which i found harder, I tried C++, which to be honest i found extremely hard what is a good language to start with, and another thing what is the difference between programming Language and srcipt??? Thanks

Only skiddies can 'hack' without any programming knowhow. And skiddies deserve death!

A programming language is just that, a language to program in. A script is a page of code to run. Simple enough, no? Try javascript or PHP as your next step… And please oh please, don't turn out a skiddie… I will shoot you.[/quote]

I always thought that PHP and javsript were website hacking, Is this true?, because im looking for more computer hacking as oppose to web based hacking

0 0

in simpler terms: (i think) programming languages make executabe prgrams e.g .exe files

scripts are mainly run on web servers to give instructions to servers e.g a php script can be used to edit, update or retrive information from an SQL database running on a web server

-=[TheOutlaw]=-
20 0

Once you know how to code, you can work out how a particular application works, once you know that, you can begin to work out how to break it ;)

0 0

moshbat wrote: Yes you do need to program to hack. There aren't programs for every occasion, you know… Remember; everything displayed on your monitor has code behind it. If you speak of hacking in the code sense, it's nonsense to think that one doesn't need to know how to code to be able to crack the code. If you don't understand what exactly is behind what you're staring at, and only know that if you see a '.php?page=download.php' to try and add a shell to it; you're not a hacker at all. You've just memorized findings by real hackers. moshbat wrote: PHP is usually found in websites, coupled most of the time with (My)SQL. JavaScript, unlike PHP is executed on the client side (to the best of my knowledge), and is most common in mundane website tasks. Perl can be used in websites, and it can be used on a desktop without a server. The syntax is rather simple, I think, making it a rather good newbie language. Having delved only a tiny proportion into Python, I cannot give an accurate description of it's uses, however, I do believe it can be used in websites, and most certainly can be used on the desktop, with the required "program" installed, of course. And of the C languages are simply the most common to make compilable programs, but not at all to my taste, so cannot give much comment there.

I think that just about covers the "basics" of programming, and I apologize for any mistakes, it's been a long time since I learnt some of that.

PHP can be used in "rooting", but it's not the most straightforward thing to do. I find Perl an excellent resource in the little bits of networking/rooting I have done, but that's just me.

My advice would be to try out a few different languages and see which takes your fancy, and which you are unlikely ever to go near.

Oh, I forgot to mention VB. It's just about good enough for my cat to shit on. I didn't like it at all, but I hear it's rather popular.

PHP - It allows web pages to have dynamic content; that's why it's very much grouped in with MySQL. MySQL allows you to store all kinds of various things needed for a website, anything from threads, views, comments, usernames, passwords, all those pieces of information you see on each side DIV; it's all stored in a database and called. Javascript - executed client side via browser.

Yes, python and perl can both be used on an HTTP server, and though VB has a bad rap, it can be useful in some situations. It's main purpose is to be able to develop GUI applications for windows, but not nearly as fast as C is. I believe that's all I wanted to add there. Oh yeah, I wouldn't necessarily say PHP can be used for rooting; I can see where you're coming from, being able to include a PHP shell, or enter information into eval() to be able to gain access to the box running the server, but I simply wouldn't say PHP can be used for rooting. Just one of thoes things :xx:.

The Krazy Bastard
0 0

Thanks for your help everyone :D

0 0

Don't take too much away from C# - and don't let the .NET fool you - C# can do some powerful shit as well, and its great when you need to make GUI's on the fly. Everybody thinks that C# is just for web applications with ASP.Net - not true. I've seen some remarkable desktop programs in pure C#. Also, no one has mentioned Java? While I can't say I'm a huge fan, I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned. I've recently taken an interest, pure OOP. Just my 2 cents.

0 0

JPierce420 wrote: Don't take too much away from C# - and don't let the .NET fool you - C# can do some powerful shit as well, and its great when you need to make GUI's on the fly. Everybody thinks that C# is just for web applications with ASP.Net - not true. I've seen some remarkable desktop programs in pure C#. Also, no one has mentioned Java? While I can't say I'm a huge fan, I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned. I've recently taken an interest, pure OOP. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed, although I didn't want to start listing every programming language that exists, there are indeed some very well programmed C# applications. I thought this thread to be simply an explanation as to why or why not having programming in your skill set would help in your ability to 'hack'.

http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/Home.aspx

0 0

I hate to use Matrix references but here we go. A hacker can understand the coding behind an application and therefore understand how and why it works. If you watch the Matrix you notice Neo sees code instead of graphics. While being a tad extreme that's the jest of what you need to be able to do.

Programming is dead required for computer hacking, not necessarily hacking in general (it covers a much broader area)

If you don't catch yourself writing things in Binary or writing down phone numbers in hex then you probably have a ways to go. No that's not required, its just an acquired twitch if you will if you know things well enough.

My twitch is using semicolons at the end of sentences and writing echo at the top of pages for some odd reasons. Good lord my LA teachers hated me…

Python Ninja
0 0

Yes you need to be able to code. There are no ifs or buts.

0 0

… Writing is outdated. Use your electrons wisely.

0 0

I made the comment about C# because unless I'm losing my mind, I saw somebody dissing it - said it makes making windows forms too easy and a fast way to make bad programs. Am I losing it or did someone edit that post out? Because I don't see it now…lol. Good possibility I'm losing it. Anyways, thats the reasoning for me C# comment. Maybe it was on another thread, who knows? B)

0 0

mambo wrote: in simpler terms: (i think) programming languages make executabe prgrams e.g .exe files

scripts are mainly run on web servers to give instructions to servers e.g a php script can be used to edit, update or retrive information from an SQL database running on a web server

in even simpler terms: scripts are executed by the browser/app/os programs are executed by the hardware/processor.

@ JPierce420: good weed there?

0 0

No, but I've had plenty of it in my time. B) Had to quit…:( Damn UA's.

0 0

maug wrote: in even simpler terms: scripts are executed by the browser/app/os programs are executed by the hardware/processor.

lol, wrong.

Banned
0 0

Programming languages are compiled into exe, they are linked to ASM then finally binary format, so that they control the processor.

Pros of programming language: Standalone programs, they run by themselves Speed, they tend to run faster

Cons: It is hard to change something in the program without recompiling or without a debugger/disassembler.

Interpreted languages are run by the interpreter, so you are scripting the exe to do what you would like for it to do. Interpreted languages generally run slightly slower than programming languages.

Pros of interpreted language:

Not compiled, easy to change and edit Double use, most scripting languages can double for web programming

Cons: If speed is your concern, interpreted languages have to be linked to binary the spot, making them slower.

Not standalone, you need the interpreter with you to run the script.

The Krazy Bastard
0 0

Thanks for all your replys, from what i've seen i'm getting straight into C++, i know that it may be quite difficult considering it is the first language (excluding html) that i am really trying to learn, i am finding quite hard but i do feel as though i am progressing, thanks for all your support.

0 0

my first programm was written in assembler for a project

learn assembler

it can only get easier

The Krazy Bastard
0 0

mambo wrote: my first programm was written in assembler for a project

learn assembler

it can only get easier

haha :D or maching code lol

0 0

Me, earlier: A programming language is a compiled language, while a scripting language is an interpreted one. A compiled language can make programs that are executable on their own; an interpreted language needs the interpreter installed on the machine. Notable exceptions to this are cases where a program has been created to compile scripting languages; I know there is one for Perl, but that's all I know off-hand. Another key difference is that scripting languages can be fed commands directly through the interpreter in a one-by-one fashion, instead of having to compile a program to run commands.

bl4ckc4t wrote: Programming languages are compiled into exe, they are linked to ASM then finally binary format, so that they control the processor.

Pros of programming language: Standalone programs, they run by themselves Speed, they tend to run faster

Cons: It is hard to change something in the program without recompiling or without a debugger/disassembler.

Interpreted languages are run by the interpreter, so you are scripting the exe to do what you would like for it to do. Interpreted languages generally run slightly slower than programming languages.

Pros of interpreted language:

Not compiled, easy to change and edit Double use, most scripting languages can double for web programming

Cons: If speed is your concern, interpreted languages have to be linked to binary the spot, making them slower.

Not standalone, you need the interpreter with you to run the script.

… Exactly. :P