Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Where to start

0 0

Where should i begin my hacking journey?

Learn a langauge, if so what one.

Find programs and test them?

EDIT: More details, erm.. I have expeirence in web coding (PHP, some JS,HTML,CSS) and have some exp in Lite-c (achnex gaming engine) , and i dont want to be a script kiddie really.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

EMOKID wrote: Where should i begin my hacking journey?

Well that all depends on where you want to get. A journey can take you in quite a few different directions. You need more detail.

0 0

google operators and research techniques. way over-looked, but helps with almost anything.

0 0

:D i just started reading about that

Admin from hell
0 0

@EMOKID change your username if you want help. You sound like a skid.

0 0

I would if i could

0 0

cough cough, i agree with korg cough cough.

Well I think python is easy enough to start with. The again what do you plan on doing. Writing applications? Or 'exploiting' like you said your hacking journey. Maybe c++ is good for you because it is ll around good. But perl is well for exploiting however I know nothing about it.

Admin from hell
0 0

You can always reregister. Not being a dick but man.. emokid what were you thinking.

0 0

yer i was thinking that i might, and it was a long time ago

0 0

EMOKID wrote: I have expeirence in web coding (PHP, some JS,HTML,CSS) and have some exp in Lite-c (achnex gaming engine) , and i dont want to be a script kiddie really.

Since you already know PHP and JS, you should play on your "strengths" before learning a new programming language. Attacks focusing on PHP and SQL/MySQL should be your primary focus, but you could also throw in some XSS learning to have some variety. Aim to be strong in a few things instead of trying to be "knowledgeable" in many.

maug wrote: google operators and research techniques. way over-looked, but helps with almost anything.

… and takes all of 30 seconds to learn. Now, he just needs to know what to research with those newfound skills.

chronicburst wrote: cough cough, i agree with korg cough cough.

Well I think python is easy enough to start with. The again what do you plan on doing. Writing applications? Or 'exploiting' like you said your hacking journey. Maybe c++ is good for you because it is ll around good. But perl is well for exploiting however I know nothing about it.

I'd suggest cough medicine, but then you'd get stuck at the childproof cap and it would take twenty posts of you trying to figure out that you need to actually read the cap to open it.

Python is easy enough to start with… but, why does he need to learn a new language? C++ is an all-around good language, but same point. Perl… is no better for exploiting than any other language, which shows us that you obviously know nothing about it (outside of your own admission).

Admin from hell
0 0

^^^^@Zephyr_Pure^^^^^ Fucking sweet. Pick em up and knock em down.

0 0

Ok, thanks for the replys so far, at the moment i am just going over some DOS stuff, and then will look at re-trying web hacking, and then maybe try learning C#.

BTW: I re-registered

Admin from hell
0 0

Nice!

0 0

Coder Disaster wrote: Ok, thanks for the replys so far, at the moment i am just going over some DOS stuff, and then will look at re-trying web hacking, and then maybe try learning C#.

By all means, follow the path you determined yourself, since you felt it was necessary to ask for guidance. Regardless, good luck.

BTW: I re-registered

I… had no idea. I'm sure no one else figured it out, either.

0 0

Well I have just noticed that most exploits our writted in perl. And not too long ago there emokid… 2007.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

chronicburst wrote: Well I have just noticed that most exploits our writted in perl. What gave you that idea? I've seen exploits written in php and C as well as others.

0 0

By all means, follow the path you determined yourself, since you felt it was necessary to ask for guidance. Regardless, good luck.

That was me taking your advice, i am going to try some web hacking , but now days its quite hard to accomplish, and also try learning some new stuff at the same time, as i believe we are learning C# in college in a few months anyways.

0 0

You pick something and get good with it. Knowing 14 languages shouldn't be your goal.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

sharpskater80 wrote: You pick something and get good with it. Knowing 14 languages shouldn't be your goal. Agreed. It's better to know a lot about a little than a little about a lot.

0 0

Yer i am planning on doing that , but i like to be multi skilled and i learnt web langauges really fast (in a few months), but am more interested in application programming and coding hacks.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

Coder Disaster wrote: [I] am more interested in application programming and coding hacks. Well then I would think C/C++ would be what you need.

0 0

Ok, so now i have a general idea of what direction to go in, where do i start, google? But does anyone have any resource links to hand, what hardware , software should i have

Its alot to ask but i think it will be good to know.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

There's resources right here on HBH: code bank, forums, articles.

What kind of software are you asking about? You'll obviously need compilers, and debuggers are nice. I would recommend using linux for C (I couldn't find any decent C compilers for windows). Also linux has gdb which is a useful program.

0 0

chronicburst wrote: Well I have just noticed that most exploits our writted in perl. And not too long ago there emokid… 2007.

You're learning… Welcome to HBH. :)

ynori7 wrote: I would recommend using linux for C (I couldn't find any decent C compilers for windows).

MinGW, I believe.

0 0

MinGW works great for me… and there's no need to switch OS's just cuz you want to learn C/C++ If you have linux great but unless you really want to use linux for more than programming stick with what you got. Unless it's a Mac of course… :( There are also great GUI for coding C on Windows like Bloodshed Dev C++.

0 0

Coder Disaster wrote: Yer i am planning on doing that , but i like to be multi skilled and i learnt web langauges really fast (in a few months), but am more interested in application programming and coding hacks.

A few months isn't really enough time to learn any language - even web scripting. You might learn the basics, but you really won't know all there is to know about the language(s). That is, unless you sat down for at least 8 hours a day working on the coding. I guess that's possible.

Go for C definitely as others said. Also, throw in some ASM. It will really help you when finding/exploiting vulnerabilities in applications.

0 0

A few months isn't really enough time to learn any language - even web scripting. You might learn the basics, but you really won't know all there is to know about the language(s). That is, unless you sat down for at least 8 hours a day working on the coding. I guess that's possible.

As i said i learn fast.

And people are now saying lots of different things , do i go for C or C# or C++ ?

Banned
0 0

Coder Disaster wrote: As i said i learn fast.

Fast learners don't ask stupid questions like you do. Lurk, speedy.

0 0

hacker2k wrote: [quote]Coder Disaster wrote: Yer i am planning on doing that , but i like to be multi skilled and i learnt web langauges really fast (in a few months), but am more interested in application programming and coding hacks.

Go for C definitely as others said. Also, throw in some ASM. It will really help you when finding/exploiting vulnerabilities in applications.[/quote]

Few months isn't enough time to learn any language? I think you can learn basics in a one day ;-).

About programming: The best thing is to try many different languages and choose the best one for you (and keep it)

I think you could try ruby language, it's easy to understand and powerful (or try python or perl)

about programming try C#, C, C++

P.S. very important thing: learn batch scripting

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

fashizzlepop wrote: MinGW works great for me… and there's no need to switch OS's just cuz you want to learn C/C++ If you have linux great but unless you really want to use linux for more than programming stick with what you got. Unless it's a Mac of course… :( There are also great GUI for coding C on Windows like Bloodshed Dev C++. Well I had a second computer laying around, plus most of my labs I had to do were written for linux computers (they had little utility programs that only worked with linux), so it was the best option for me.

@OP - I dont know much about C# other than the fact that it's getting used a lot lately for making games. I'd say learn C++ and then look into C. They're pretty similar, so you wont have to worry about learning two different syntaxes.

0 0

Fast learners don't ask stupid questions like you do. Lurk, speedy.

Its not stupid, and you wouldnt get any where in life without asking questions.

0 0

Coder Disaster wrote: [quote]Fast learners don't ask stupid questions like you do. Lurk, speedy.

Its not stupid, and you wouldnt get any where in life without asking questions.

[/quote]

well, but asking google is more "flameless" ;-)

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

There's also the other 100 threads just like this one here you could have looked through.

0 0

There's also the other 100 threads just like this one here you could have looked through.

Then why answer the question, why not say "Search the forum"??

If ure going to complain about me asking a question , dont bother replying.

Banned
0 0

Coder Disaster wrote: Then why answer the question, why not say "Search the forum"??

If ure going to complain about me asking a question , dont bother replying.

Can you shut up?

0 0

C languages and Java would be good for game programming. C sharp seems to be used to make life easier with visual things. Python is used for the scripting part. Don't try to code anything worth while in assembly, just use a disassembler to look through apps you make.

0 0

Coder Disaster wrote: [quote]There's also the other 100 threads just like this one here you could have looked through.

Then why answer the question, why not say "Search the forum"??

If ure going to complain about me asking a question , dont bother replying.[/quote]

well, to serach on the forum would be the second thing you should do (the first is to use google because google knows everything). Ynori said there are over 100 threads about your topic (and ppl who asked there were flamed like a cigarete)

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

Well I'm just saying that it's getting annoying that everybody makes a new thread for this when it's all been talked about a 100 times before. How hard is it to take a look and see if your question has already been answered before asking it?

0 0

No offence intended but

Well I'm just saying that it's getting annoying that everybody makes a new thread for this when it's all been talked about a 100 times before. How hard is it to take a look and see if your question has already been answered before asking it?

Why not ignore them then?? Simple , then it wont be annoying.

Banned
0 0

Coder Disaster wrote: Why not ignore them then?? Simple , then it wont be annoying.

How can I deny my children fresh meat?

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

Coder Disaster wrote: Why not ignore them then?? Simple , then it wont be annoying. Doesnt make it not annoying. Then it worthlessly takes up a spot on the 'Latest Forum Posts' list.

0 0

I love how, every time someone asks for advice on where to start, a bunch of noobs jump in the thread and say things like "well, you could learn Ruby cuz its sweet" or some other crap about [insert language here]. You don't need to learn a new language to learn how to hack… you need to learn how to employ those techniques in the languages you already know. If you choose to learn a language, fine, but don't expect it to be any more accomodating when it comes to learning "how to hack".

Yes, there are hundreds of these threads. Yes, we continue to answer them despite that.

Why?

We know you're not yet willing to learn on your own completely… we know you don't have that drive. How can we expect you to even try to search the forums? Is it annoying? Sure it is… but, we can take the time to attempt to get you motivated to contribute to the community in some meaningful way.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

Zephyr_Pure wrote: We know you're not yet willing to learn on your own completely… we know you don't have that drive. How can we expect you to even try to search the forums? Is it annoying? Sure it is… but, we can take the time to attempt to get you motivated to contribute to the community in some meaningful way. I suppose you're right. I guess I just didn't think about it that way.

Perl-6 Wisdom Seeker
0 0

Zephyr_Pure wrote: I love how, every time someone asks for advice on where to start, a bunch of noobs jump in the thread and say things like "well, you could learn Ruby cuz its sweet" or some other crap about [insert language here]. You don't need to learn a new language to learn how to hack… you need to learn how to employ those techniques in the languages you already know. If you choose to learn a language, fine, but don't expect it to be any more accomodating when it comes to learning "how to hack".

True, but eventually you will need to start to learn some programming/scripting language. For the most of people it's php, we all know why :). I hated php from the beggining, so I learned the basics and some extra ( and I'm always reading upon it bit by bit ), then I tried perl, and man that was the Language for me, and I just love coding with it. Point is, that even though noobs ( "learn Ruby cuz it's sweet" ) will usually not help you with these posts, it will help you widen the prespective a little, and may help you choose/research what is most appropriate for you

0 0

clone4 wrote: True, but eventually you will need to start to learn some programming/scripting language. For the most of people it's php, we all know why :). I hated php from the beggining, so I learned the basics and some extra ( and I'm always reading upon it bit by bit ), then I tried perl, and man that was the Language for me, and I just love coding with it. Point is, that even though noobs ( "learn Ruby cuz it's sweet" ) will usually not help you with these posts, it will help you widen the prespective a little, and may help you choose/research what is most appropriate for you

If the person asking for help already knows a primary language, do not suggest another. If the person asks for a particular type of language (desktop or web development, scripting, etc.), try to be helpful with small bits of advice while giving direction. Listing off a number of languages does widen the perspective… which, to a beginner, looks like a vast, intimidating goal. Narrow the view and lead the person in small steps, then you'll see results if there are to be any.

No, I don't know why it's PHP… since PHP is no better than any other server-side language. So, why is it?

Perl-6 Wisdom Seeker
0 0

yeah it's no better then any other it's just most spreaded serverside language in web based applications… Thus it's almost essential to know it, and usually when you start to hack you are 'advised' to know html/javascript and php (because usually you start with the web-hacking).

(now sry for not quoting :)) For the rest of what you've said, you are right, I also kinda forgot that he's already got primary language… On the other hand even if the begginer feels little overwhelmed with possibilities at first, it's on him to do his homework and choose, I did it basically on my own and I think I chose more then well. When you narrow the possibilities for someone else, you make someone else's choices, which is never good ( unless that someone is really dumb :) )

0 0

Well last year i had a bash at ruby , but didnt really try much.

And the reason people choose PHP is because it is designed to be simple and easy to learn.

And thanks for the advice so far , as i said i know some basics on Lite-c which is similar to C-Script, so i am now looking at learning C++ .

If anyone Wants to (doesnt have to , as i have found some) recomend any tutorials etc.

Feel Free.

Thanks, CD

0 0

Alright… that answer works for me concerning PHP. Since we've already determined that the OP knows them, there's not much less to discuss on that.

A lot of us did the work on our own… including me and others on here that are giving advice. It is up to him to do a lot of homework to advance. However, if he's here asking for advice, he's looking for you to narrow the possibilities to help him with his choices. In his first steps, he needs narrow possibilities to get his feet wet… then, as he gains more insight as to what he's needing, he will find the possibilities in languages a bit easier to handle.

The key with mentor threads is that you're not trying to help them get it all on the first try… rather, you're trying to get them ready for the second try.

0 0

@Zephyr_Pure Thanks.

All i wanted to know was where to start , i didnt ask anything else.

And it is now answered.

Thanks, CD

Perl-6 Wisdom Seeker
0 0

Zephyr_Pure wrote: The key with mentor threads is that you're not trying to help them get it all on the first try… rather, you're trying to get them ready for the second try.

Nothing left to say but you are right :) however formulation of this question

OP wrote: Where should i begin my hacking journey?

just doesn't imply this. There is way too much lack of detail, I mean you could as well start with: "Firstly you want to buy computer. Then you switch it on….."

0 0

Agreed. That's why we are somewhat obligated to let it be understood. Otherwise, we're just wasting our time. :)

0 0

"Firstly you want to buy computer. Then you switch it on….."

Well TBH i thought that the people answersing the post would use some logic, and work it out.

0 0

Coder Disaster wrote: [quote]"Firstly you want to buy computer. Then you switch it on….."

Well TBH i thought that the people answersing the post would use some logic, and work it out.[/quote]

Don't put the onus on the responders to determine the focus in your question threads. If you can narrow it down by providing more detail, you're more likely to get a valuable set of responses.

0 0

sharpskater80 wrote: C languages and Java would be good for game programming. C sharp seems to be used to make life easier with visual things. Python is used for the scripting part. Don't try to code anything worth while in assembly, just use a disassembler to look through apps you make.

What's wrong with coding anything big in assembly? Also, how would it help you to look through apps you wrote and look through them in a disassembler if you don't know assembly?

Zephyr_Pure wrote: I love how, every time someone asks for advice on where to start, a bunch of noobs jump in the thread and say things like "well, you could learn Ruby cuz its sweet" or some other crap about [insert language here]. You don't need to learn a new language to learn how to hack… you need to learn how to employ those techniques in the languages you already know. If you choose to learn a language, fine, but don't expect it to be any more accomodating when it comes to learning "how to hack".

While it's true that you don't need to learn another programming language when learning how to hack, it can still be helpful. For instance, knowing asm would help you when you disassemble an application that is closed source and you be able to understand how it works, find flaws in it, etc. If you know PHP and MySQL, it will help you when you are doing web-hacking because you can think of how you would write it and where the vulnerabilities could be.

0 0

>>What's wrong with coding anything big in assembly?

Considering he's new. Most people who get into assembly have mastered a low level language prior to that.

>>Also, how would it help you to look through apps you wrote and look through them in a disassembler if you don't know assembly?

Seeing code you already know in disassembly will help you learn the instructions better. That's if you want to do that at all, which probably isn't the case here.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

hacker2k wrote: What's wrong with coding anything big in assembly?

You're kidding right? The entire reason programming languages were invented is so you dont have to use assembly or machine language. ASM is fine for something small, but to try to make anything big and complicated you'd have to understand it on a pretty high level (which most people dont).