Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Hacking Explorer.exe

0 0

Does anyone know if it would be possible to open Explorer.exe in a realtime debugger and edit the asm and hex so that it changes your privaledges to admin or system??? does explorer.exe actually contain the code that controls the user that is using it? any help would be appreciated. I am thinkinf of testing this idea out on my comp and then maybe see if it works with different permissions.

:(
80 120

Why not just use easier ways of getting admin? I'm sure there are tons of articles here on HBH that could help you. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure skunkfoot wrote something along those lines a while back. Use the search function to find it. Something about privilege escalation.

But, if you were just curious and throwing out ideas, I have no idea. I tend to stay away from messing with the Windows files for the simple reason that I don't know anything about them. I don't want to mess anything up permanently until I get used to Linux. Then everything is fair game.

0 0

It's definately possible to debug explorer.exe, but I don't know if the things you want to do are actually possible.

As Futility said, there are tons of other (easier) ways to do it ;)

0 0

The problem with the easier ways is that they are only possible if at is enabled or some other blatently obvious vuln is. Or if you have admin rights, which as we all know then we dont need to exploit anything. :p But ya ill just have to learn my assembly a little better, and maybe ill get lucky. heres hopin'

0 0

LOck-doWN wrote: The problem with the easier ways is that they are only possible if at is enabled or some other blatently obvious vuln is. Or if you have admin rights, which as we all know then we dont need to exploit anything. :p But ya ill just have to learn my assembly a little better, and maybe ill get lucky. heres hopin'

No. Stop doing stupid stuff like thinking you can open explorer up in a ring 3 debugger and think you can h4x0r your way to root by patching the binary with magic. Stick to the app challenges and go to other sites to find crack-me's. Start out small, then slowly work your way up. Looking at code does not make you smart, understanding code makes you smart. I don't want to discourage you, but seriously just stick with the basics until you have a foundation of knowledge laid down.

0 0

LOck-doWN wrote: The problem with the easier ways is that they are only possible if at is enabled or some other blatently obvious vuln is. Almost every Windows computer has LM password hashing enabled… That's almost like leaving an open door for anyone who has physical access :p