Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

DDoS//Botnet

0 0

Now say there is a site called "www.pwn-a-nub.org" and this site is a domain running off of a hosting service for example… uhh. "www.freewebs.com." Now say the person who has the botnet is ready to DDoS. Would they DDoS "www.pwn-a-nub.org" or would they DDoS the host freewebs?

Im just curious, I do not have a botnet. However I read that article. Very interesting and its something to think about.

0 1

i think the botnet will DDoS the site that you specified, which in this case will be the pwn-a-nub site.

i might be wrong though

0 0

One could always start with the site itself (not the host) since freewebs has limited bandwidth. Depending on the user's settings, the site might either be frozen for the rest of the month (success) or tons of extra ads will be added to it (in that case, consider going for the host).

It requires a lot of force to break a big webhost, but with a good botnet this sure is possible ;)

0 0

chronicburst wrote: Now say there is a site called "www.pwn-a-nub.org" and this site is a domain running off of a hosting service for example… uhh. "www.freewebs.com." Now say the person who has the botnet is ready to DDoS. Would they DDoS "www.pwn-a-nub.org" or would they DDoS the host freewebs?

Im just curious, I do not have a botnet. However I read that article. Very interesting and its something to think about.

What article did you read?

0 0

What do you consider a "good" botnet? A large one?

As for you apescanfly223 I will answer that question when I get home. This will be edited soon enough.

0 0

chronicburst wrote: What do you consider a "good" botnet? A large one?

Exactly. The amount of "zombies" in the botnet and the speed of their connections are the most important factors.

0 1

chronicburst wrote: Now say there is a site called "www.pwn-a-nub.org" and this site is a domain running off of a hosting service for example… uhh. "www.freewebs.com." Now say the person who has the botnet is ready to DDoS. Would they DDoS "www.pwn-a-nub.org" or would they DDoS the host freewebs?

a DDoS would effect everyone in the pipeline.

pwn-a-nub would be more effected as their bandwidth limit would only be a fraction of what freewebs would be.

a DoS is a more targetted way and limits the amount of people effected.

0 0

Okay I understand that Mr. Cheese. So is DoS attack like the most common attack? Well not common but effective? And if I DoS a server would it become more vulnerable for me to hack into?

0 1

both DDoS and DoS will make it harder for an attacker to break into a server, because obvioulsy… the service has been "denied" or slowed down by the attacks.

hence the name "Denial of Service".

0 0

Meaning there needs to be a really descent sized botnet to have any effect on something that denying it.

0 0

Not to mention that once a DDos starts, its not that hard to fend off.

0 0

What do you mean by "fend off"? Like counter-hacking people trying to prevent//stop your attack?

0 0

Oh of course.