Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Wireless in linux

0 0

Well This is probably the 80th post im going to make about my crappy, yet powerful, wireless card that refuses to work in linux.

I have tried all of the following LiveCD's and installed linuxs: Fedora Core 4 ( Installed ) Knoppix STD ( LiveCD ) Knoppix 4.7-4.8 ( LiveCD ) DamnSmallLinux [DSL] ( LiveCD / Emulator ) Auditor ( LiveCD ) NavyNOS [modified version of gentoo] ( LiveCD ) WHOPPIX [modified version of knoppix] ( LiveCD )

and the only one that seems to work is the DSL emulated version. But it detects my wireless card as an ethernet port not a wireless card.

My wireless card specs: Name: Broadcom 802.11b/g Internal/External: Internal

My laptop specs: Company: HP Model: hp Pavilion zv5000 Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ 701 MHz, 512 MB of RAM

I've tried NDISWRAPPER over 60 times in whoppix and it sais: Driver Present, Hardware Present

but when i type in "iwconfig" it shows nothing. when i type in "ifconfig" it shows nothing. there is no such thing as wlan0 on it.

Anyone who can get this running will be greatly appreciated. Please post back here or PM me any information concidering getting it to work. If possible under WHOPPIX cuz i have all my "tools" i need on that CD.

Thanks in adavance, -Haykuro

0 0

no one out of 164 active forum users and 3764 other users that are not forum active, dont kno how to get 1 measily wireless card to work… im starting to have doubts about HBH… :(

0 0

Haykuro wrote: no one out of 164 active forum users and 3764 other users that are not forum active, dont kno how to get 1 measily wireless card to work… im starting to have doubts about HBH… :(

and yes, i did get so bored of waiting that i calculated that.. lol

0 0

what chipset is your wireless card? Linux likes Prisim2 chipsets.

check /etc/fstab to see if its registered. you might also try bringing it up manually via iwconfig (i forgot the syntax should be something like:

[root@localhost root]# iwconfig iw0 up

)

there are also several other diagnostics that you can run. you might try looking in /var/log/messages or running the `dmesg' command.

there are many sites that have the info you're looking for. i'll post up some good links when i get home.

post back if you have any questions.

0 0

I was going to say whatever I plug into my linux box works wonderfully, I dont know why and its the only way I can get my secondary internet connection (USB) to work.

0 0

Well Im an having the same problem with whoppix. My SMC 2834 wireless network card will not work. Been looking all around for the answer.