Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Encryption 8: Just comes out as gibberish

0 0

Hey everyone, just been working on encryption 8 and i've hit a problem and have no clue what i did wrong.

When i decrypt my answer (which i gotten from a python program i wrote) it just turns out as gibberish. I tried reversing the adding and subtracting but again no luck.

Could i pm someone for a push in the right direction?

Thanks Thehare

0 0

If your answer is coming out gibberish maybe you are doing it wrong. Are you sure it's the right way, if you are and that is because you have been told and can't get the programme to work then I can't believe you have the face to ask for help. But I'll give you the beifit of the doubt.

Unfortunately, since you can't post your code or your method here because of spoiler issues then we can't help you really.

0 0

hello , before i start just saying thanks for replying.

Now, first I would like to say that even though no one has actually told me if what I am doing is right or wrong, I am fairly confident in what I am doing is right (though the fact that the answer is gibberish suggests otherwise :-) ). And thinking what I am doing is right I designed a program that would simply do what needs to be done to the ciphertext to allow me to complete the challenge (just clarifying, my program does not decrypt the encryption, it just completes the first step of the challenge.), and i have tried both ways and to no avail both came out gibberish.

Again thanks for your reply, and I would like to note that I am not trying to be spoonfed, I just need a nudge in the right direction.

Thanks

Thehare

0 0

Okay in that case, perhaps it's your script that's not doing as it is supposed to? or have you manually check it's doing it right?

It would be best if some one you who had done enc 8 recently replied, perhaps offering you pm them… someone … any one?!

You can pm me but I don't remember how it's done, or what encryption 8 even looks like

0 0

Once again thanks for the reply.

I appreciate it that you have tried to help, and sadly I have manually checked my program is working just as i needed it to.

So I can only assume that either a) I am doing this totally wrong or b) I am just not utilizing the key correctly.

Once again thanks for the reply

Thehare

0 0

I have just done this manually and decrypted a sentence. but it wont accept my answer. This is due i believe to two peculiarities in the code ,one is the very last char. and the other is "(-1)73327(-1)45(-1)85" …………………………………………..^here.

I have no idea how to resolve these issues. Can anyone shed any light on this matter? @thehare you can pm me, if you want.

–Edit— Got it. 1st is a twist. 2nd is a typo. See COM's post in other Enc 8 thread. Thanks COM.

0 0

I seem to be having the same problem with this one as the OP. I read the article, and followed the method of decryption that it suggested using a python script that I wrote. The method involves adding and subtracting certain numbers(trying to be vague). My script does this step correctly, however my final results are obviously not correct. The article recommends using a certain website to decrypt my results. This website uses an encryption method that utilizes a certain number of numbers. After following the article, my results have numbers that are higher than allowed by this method of encryption. Am I missing a step somewhere? Anyone care to lend a hand?

edit: I've also been trying % to get the numbers in the right range. Still no success.

edit again: solved it. There was some bad info in an old post about what to add to and subtract from. Thanks to ArgonQ for pushing me in the right direction.